[Grammar] This is the last time I teach here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I'm familiar with the expression "....the first/last time I've done...". Suppose today is Mr. Connors' farewell class. At the beginning of the class, he communicates it to the students. Even so, would he say something like "Guys, this is the last time I've taught here" rather than "Guys, this is the last time I teach here"?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He'd probably say "This is my last class". But if he were to use something like your sentence, he'd say this is the last time I'll be teaching here.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Can the sentence "This is the first time I..." ever be followed by simple present? Can anybody come up with something?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Easy.

John: Mum, can you help me with my maths homework?
Mum: Again? I helped you over the weekend and on Monday evening.
John: I know, but it's quadratic equations today.
Mum: Fine. But this is the last time I help you. From tomorrow, you're on your own.
John: But ...!
Mum: No buts. It's your homework. You have to do it yourself.
John: OK.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
So, in my example, the teacher is about to start his farewell class, and he would say "This is the last time I'll be teaching here". In this example, the mother is about to help her son for the last time, and she says "This is the last time I help you", and not "This is the last time I'll be helping you". Would it be possible too? Anyway, why wouldn't it be right to use simple present in the example I posted? What's the difference?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Easy.

Mum: Fine. But this is the last time I help you. From tomorrow, you're on your own.

But that's not what beachboy asked. It's not quite as easy to think of contexts for first.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

Imagine a bootcamp for soldiers who are to train for fighting the Zerg.

A private who's never seen the Zerg, after he's done his basic training and is feeling he's the man, might say "The first time I see a zergling, I'm gonna shoot it dead!"

Is that correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher
------

Imagine a bootcamp for soldiers who are to train for fighting the Zerg.

A private who's never seen the Zerg, after he's done his basic training and is feeling he's the man, might say "The first time I see a zergling, I'm gonna shoot it dead!"

Is that correct?
Yes, in everyday English. Well done!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"The first time I see a zergling, I'm gonna shoot it dead!"

I don't want to be too picky but that's not what beachboy asked (in post #3), either.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I understand all the examples. The problem is, I can't see the difference. In all the scenarios, including mine, if I translated to Portuguese, I would only use the simpre present...

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I understand all the examples. The problem is, I can't see the difference. In all the scenarios, including mine, if I translated to Portuguese, I would only use the simpre present...
Not a teacher
------

I think that's where the problem is.

Using translations is a shortcut, an easy way to, sort of, understand what the words mean. The problem is that certain words have more than one meaning. If a word in Portugese has multiple meanings, say, A, B, and C, and its English equivalent has multiple meanings, say, A, C, and D, then translation may or may not work depending on the context.

cWhk4IcIzMZfWQh-KR6dW5bVvDpRPzDBbagvZABXKQkiDjfWCTHlPi09WB72fXZBFUECtTCSMr6bVsJsn0PQvSmg_Z_f0ScDHTgCK-9sejYtRSGzp5xSSQGnbmQAiOzjIrcmXuhV

It's always better to understand words as they are, without translating them to any language.

Last edited:

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I understand it. As I said I'm familiar with the structure "It's the first time I've" followed by participle. And as I said, if translate to Portuguese, the present perfect becomes our simple present. The problem is I have no ways to find out when to use "It's the first time I" followed by simpre present. No differences in context have been shown to me.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Forget about using the present simple after This is is the first time I ...

If you want to translate from Portuguese, you can use either present continuous or present perfect.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Future continuous?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've just come back to this thread after a couple of days. Apologies for my erroneous reading of your earlier post, leading to my "This is the last time I help you" example. I had missed the fact that you wanted "This is the first time + present tense". I agree that it's not a likely construction but I have to point out that it is possible to use it in conjunction with my previous example.

John: Mum, can you help me with my homework?
Mum: No. It's your homework. You have to do it on your own. You know I never help you.
John: Please! It's your favourite subject - trigonometry.
Mum: Ohhh, that's very tempting. I really love trig. But I really shouldn't help.
John: Come on, Mum. You know you want to!
Mum: OK. But this is the first and last time I help you. In future, you do all your homework alone.
John: Fine by me!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Mum: OK. But this is the first and last time I help you.

Nice dialogue but that's still not using the phrase in question. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Fine. "This is the first time I help you, and it's the last time". How's that? That is definitely what was requested in post 3. It starts "This is the first time" and is followed by the present simple. The dialogue simply contained a more natural version.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Fine. "This is the first time I help you, and it's the last time". How's that? That is definitely what was requested in post 3. It starts "This is the first time" and is followed by the present simple. The dialogue simply contained a more natural version.

Yep! That's fine. (Sorry to be picky.)

Status
Not open for further replies.