Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

This passage is taken from the book ''Longman English Grammar''. The answers are given but there are no explanations. Which tense is a better option in the sentences in bold? The book's answers are underlined.

I’m studying English at Exeter University. I’m on holiday at the moment and I’m working in a public library. I’m lucky to have this job. I don’t have to get up early. The library opens at 10 and close at 7. It’s interesting work because people are always coming/always come in and are asking/ask me to help them, so I learn/I am learning a lot about different subjects. I enjoy/I am enjoying the job and find/am finding it very amusing, too. People use the strangest things as bookmarks. I have found a rasher of bacon uncooked. Matchsticks are common and so are bus tickets. My colleagues always find/are always finding things too – even a 10 note, but I haven’t been so lucky. I often think of the photo of a beautiful woman which I found. On the back were the words: I love you. I miss/I am missing you you and I’ll never forget you.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First, "are always coming" with "are asking" = consistent use of present progressive. But "always come" with "ask" (simple present) is also OK. Second, "learn" (consistently)/"am learning" (presently). Third, "am enjoying"/"am finding" (at the present time); "enjoy"/"find" (consistently/always). Fourth, "always find"/"are always finding" (no difference in meaning or time frame). Fifth, I would disagree with Longman. "I am missing you" would be less common than "I miss you".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
First, "are always coming" with "are asking" = consistent use of present progressive. But "always come" with "ask" (simple present) is also OK. Second, "learn" (consistently)/"am learning" (presently). Third, "am enjoying"/"am finding" (at the present time); "enjoy"/"find" (consistently/always). Fourth, "always find"/"are always finding" (no difference in meaning or time frame). Fifth, I would disagree with Longman. "I am missing you" would be less common than "I miss you".

I thought ''are always coming and (are) asking'' sounds negative. Is the second ''are'' optional before ''asking?'' In #2, 3 are both tenses OK?

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I thought ''are always coming and (are) asking'' sounds negative. Yes, it could except, in the example, the speaker indicated that the job was "interesting" which would negate any displeasure. Is the second ''are'' optional before ''asking?'' Yes. In #2, 3 are both tenses OK? Yes

My shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.