• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

The present simple or the present continuous

Hello.

This passage is taken from the book ''Longman English Grammar''. The answers are given but there are no explanations. Which tense is a better option in the sentences in bold? The book's answers are underlined.

1.We hope you enjoy/are enjoying this marvelous weather as much as we are. We sunbathe and go swimming every day. Next week we go/are going snorkeling.
    2. The play is set in London in 1980. The action takes place in Sir Don Wyatt’s mansion. When the curtain goes up, the hero and heroine sit/are sitting in the lounge. They argue/are arguing.
    3. Dear Jane , sorry to hear about your problem at work. I think you do/are doing the right thing, but I doubt whether your boss really knows his job from what you are telling tell me.

2. Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The present simple or the present continuous

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    Hello.

This passage is taken from the book ''Longman English Grammar''. The answers are given but there are no explanations. Which tense is a better option in the sentences in bold? The book's answers are underlined.

1.We hope you enjoy/are enjoying (at the present time/present continuous) this marvelous weather as much as we are ("enjoy" could be used if it were a general statement, but "as we are" must be changed to "as we do").. We sunbathe and go swimming every day. Next week we go/are going snorkeling (The present continuous structure can be used for future actions if the future action is specified,e.g. "next week").
    2. The play is set in London in 1980. The action takes place in Sir Don WyattÂ’s mansion. When the curtain goes up, the hero and heroine sit/are sitting in the lounge. They argue/are arguing. (Both describe actions occurring in the present)
    3. Dear Jane , sorry to hear about your problem at work. I think you do/are doing (action/s occurring presently)the right thing, but I doubt whether your boss really knows his job from what you are telling tell me (I would use "telling" because the conversation/action is occurring presently, although "tell" would be commonly used)..
    My shot.

3. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Georgia
      • Current Location:
      • Georgia

Sorry, I just read your answer again and didn't understand my mistake. Could you please explain once again? I used ''going to.' I mean this part: ''We sunbathe and go swimming every day. Next week we go/are going snorkeling (The present continuous structure can be used for future actions if the future action is specified,e.g. "next week")''.

4. Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Adams View Post
    Sorry, I just read your answer again and didn't understand my mistake. Could you please explain once again? I used ''going to.' I mean this part: ''We sunbathe and go swimming every day. Next week we go/are going snorkeling (The present continuous structure can be used for future actions if the future action is specified,e.g. "next week")''.
    Sorry if you misunderstood. "...are going" is OK. But I could have added, "Next week we are going to go snorkeling".
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 03-Mar-2020 at 17:23. Reason: Removed unnecessary bold