Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

I have been asked by my workmate to translate into Polish one sentence about a service report regarding the Woodward governor..

Here it is:

The speed setting servo check valve is dumping above ??? rpm.

I know that there is something known as a dump valve, whose function is to open in order to quickly release pressure.

Does the bolded sentence mean that the above-mentioned valve is opening at the value of more than ??? rpm in order to quickly release pressure?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does this document come from India? Overuse of the present continuous is a hallmark of Indian English. I wonder if the writer meant The speed setting servo check valve dumps above ??? rpm, meaning that ??? rpm is the valve's set point.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
No, It is from Poland. I also took "dump" into account. "Dump" would mean "empty", wouldn't it?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, It is from Poland. I also took "dump" into account. "Dump" would mean "empty", wouldn't it?
Yes. But the mystery deepens …. You're in Poland, tasked with translating a poor English translation you've received from a Polish vendor back into Polish. I'm sure you can appreciate how perplexing this appears to people who are used to picking up the phone or otherwise communicating directly with the vendor to answer questions like this.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Let's not worry about such things that are beyond our control.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I think you understand it. This is likely for protection from overspeed condition of the turbine/engine. The governor maintains normal control of the speed. If the speed gets too high (out of control), the valve opens, dumping the oil and stopping the turbine.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let's not worry about such things that are beyond our control.

Please don't tell us what not to worry about. We're trying to teach you something here. What GoesStation says in post #4 is important.

Are you telling us that the document was translated from Polish into English (probably by a native Polish speaker) and that now you (a non-native English speaker) are trying to translate it back into Polish?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are all assuming that the report was written in Polish and translated into English. I would not assume that.

I assume the report was written by either a person whose second language is English, or a native speaker who is used to technical jargon.

It is not unusual at all for a service report to be written in English. (Especially if they contracted Woodward, an American company.)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
------

Hello, Jacek!

It's difficult to tell what the author meant. The sentence in bold looks as if someone has compressed a lot of information into a short, compact sentence. If this is an extract from a report, could you copy the entire paragraph?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.