Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
According to my English-Japanese dictionary, “bent on” has two meanings.
One is being determined to do something and the other is being absorbed in something, both of which I translated into English, by the way.
I looked up some English-English dictionaries, but I can’t find example sentences of the second meaning.
Without example sentences, I don't know how to use it properly.
Would you please give me some example sentences? Or should I write some sentences by myself?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This sounds to me like it may be a mis-translation.

To be bent on someting is to be determined to do or accomplish it. I am not familiar with the supposed "fully absorbed" meaning, and after perusing several English dictionaries I have not found one that includes that definition for "bent on". A bent, however, is a strong interest or pre-occupation with something.

Are you quite sure your Japanese-English dictionary is defining "bent on" rather than just "bent" when it talks about being absorbed in something?

popri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I’m grateful that you’ve checked several dictionaries. Yes, I’m positive that my Japanese-English dictionary has the meaning of “be absorbed in something” in “be bent on something”.
I’ve browsed on-line dictionaries and found another Japanese dictionary that has some examples.
Let me tell you some sentences that I’ve written using the examples.

He is bent on doing good.
He is bent on making money.
He is bent on revenge.

I think these sentences could be changed to “He is determined to do...”, but the dictionary goes they are absorbed in doing something.
I hope this helps.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suggest you forget about the supposed second meaning. I've never encountered it, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.