Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
Unfortunately, Islamic government of Iran and its religious society, have summarily patience over individuals who convert from Islam to Christianity.

Source: It was written by a lawyer.

What does the bold part mean?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's garbled English. "Summarily patience" doesn't make sense. The author was probably mixed up and used incorrect words. I can't guess what was intended.

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
What do you suggest based on the context? I added the following, if that helps.

people will be subjected to a severe punishment –possibly even death – due to their conversion to Christianity.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I might expect "have summarily condemned to death individuals who convert". However, that only works if they're all sentenced to death and I can't imagine how that got mis-translated to "patience over".

EDIT: I did a reverse Google Translate translation and what came back from the Persian version was:

"The Islamic State of Iran and its Religious Community have shown patience with those who have converted to Islam."

That makes far more sense although it doesn't fit with the information in post #3, and also ends with the opposite conversion to the one stated in the original. However, that's what Google Translate made of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.