Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

Andy had gone on holiday as an ordinary tourist and returned as a hero. One morning, as he lay on a beach, enjoying the sun, he saw a boy struggling to stay on the surface. There was no lifeguards and just a few people, who didn't react. When he saw that the boy was unable to swim back, Andy jumped into the sea and swam as fast as he could and seized the boy. When they safely returned, the locals had already gathered on the shore. They carried Andy on their shoulders to the town hall, where he was greeted by the mayor, who told Andy he would be rewarded with a free holiday in their town as long as he lived.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Andy went on holiday as an ordinary tourist and returned as a hero.

There are problems with word choice. Also, it needs important details at certain points.

(Saving somebody from drowning can be very risky. You might wind up with two victims instead of one.)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I didn't use more details because I didn't aim to write a short story. I tried to see if it is correct to start with the past perfect, but now I know that was wrong.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
True story. I don't remember where I learned this, but a lifeguard explained what he did when rescuing somebody. Frequently the person will grab the rescuer around the neck. Then the lifeguard dives under the surface of the water. They always let go! Then the rescue can proceed as it is supposed to.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about deleting as twice from the first sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.