Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Colombia
Have I made any mistakes?

You'vemade your viewpoint on Spanish abundantly clear. Now, refrain from derailingconversations with your uncalled-for remarks. This server was created with the sole purpose of fostering an inclusivelanguage-learning community. WhileI can't force you to grow fond of Spanish, I strenuously request that you stop discouraging people who wantto pursuit Spanish and hoodwinking them into believing its useless.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Have I made any mistakes?

You've made your viewpoint on Spanish abundantly clear. Now, refrain from derailing conversations with your uncalled-for remarks. This server was created with the sole purpose of fostering an inclusive language-learning community. While I can't force you to grow fond of Spanish, I strenuously request that you stop discouraging people who want to learn Spanish and hoodwinking them into believing it's useless.

I don't think "strenuously" adds anything. Perhaps:

I must ask you to ....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum, Robbadob. :hi:

As you can see, Tarheel added a lot of spaces between words. It looks like you copied and pasted the text in post #1 from somewhere else. Note that when you do that, the software removes a lot of spaces. Before you post, you will need to add those spaces yourself.

Robbadob

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Colombia
Thanks for your replies.

I wasn't aware the spacing was botched up when copying text from a word editor. Unfortunately, I couldn't visualize my thread after I posted it. I thought it had been deleted or not properly entered.
Regarding my passage. Does it read overly formal? Is the tone condescending?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's an admonition. By its very nature the one person seems to be talking down to the other one. That's pretty much unavoidable here.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What do you mean by server?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wasn't aware the spacing was botched up when copying text from a word editor.

If you right-click, you can choose the paste as plain text option, which clears any editor formatting issues.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought Discord was an app or a chat service. I'm pretty sure "server" is the wrong word there.

Robbadob

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Colombia
I thought Discord was an app or a chat service. I'm pretty sure "server" is the wrong word there.
It's the right word.

Discord uses the metaphors of servers and channels; even though these servers don't map to traditional hardware or virtual servers due to their distributed nature. A user can create a server on Discord, manage its public visibility and access, and create one or more channels within.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK- I would favour channel over server on this, as I see servers as machines, real or virtual. I must be getting old. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.