• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: A GIRL IN A WHITE DRESS Part One

Try:

What kind of country is this where in the summer I have to wear winter clothes?

Scandinavian.

There is a joke in Wyoming that goes: "I hope summer comes on a weekend so I can go fishing." (It's not a very funny joke.)
    Not a professional teacher

2. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

When I came to Sweden, I lived six months in a refugee camp in the north, in a little town. It was the winter, and you could see the sun just for a couple of hours, and it was weak, like a balloon on the horizon. At about 3 pm in the afternoon, it was completely dark. There was nothing to do. At the weekends, people either drive their snow scooters in the countryside, ski, or drink moonshine. I read on the internet a few weeks ago that the municipality of that town are looking for two dentists. They are paying about 500$ extra on the wage, but they still cannot find anyone because nobody wants to spend years in a place where in the winter it is so cold that you can't take a stroll more than a few minutes before you want go back into the warmth of your home.
    Last edited by Bassim; 01-Mar-2020 at 19:23.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    When I came to Sweden, I lived six months in a refugee camp in the north, in a little town. It was the winter, and you could see the sun just for a couple of hours, and it was weak, like a balloon on the horizon. At about 3 pm in the afternoon, it was completely dark. There was nothing to do. At the weekends, people either drive their snow scooters in the countryside, ski, or drink moonshine. I read on the internet a few weeks ago that the municipality of that town are looking for two dentist. They are paying about $500 extra on the wage, but they still cannot find anyone because nobody wants to spend years in a place where in the it is so cold that you can't take a stroll more than a few minutes before you want go back into the warmth of your home.
    If you paid me a million dollars a year it wouldn't be enough. (In Charlotte they don't really know what winter is like. (I like to say they don't have real winter in Charlotte.) I love Charlotte!)

4. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bosnian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

You're a lucky man, Tarheel.
    When I came here, I saw the Swedes just standing or sitting in the parks, with their eyes closed, soaking the sun. I had never seen anything similar in my homeland, but then when I saw how summers are short here, and how winters are long, I understood that people are using every opportunity to enjoy it.
    Last edited by Bassim; 01-Mar-2020 at 19:30.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

When you create an illusion you do, of course, create an appearance of reality. You make the unreal appear to be real. (See: Potemkin villages.)

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2