Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Good morning guys. I've just written this article about my last summer trip.
Could you kindly revise my writing please?

Hello guys. here I am, in a cold and wet winter afternoon, comfortably sitting in front of my computer, I decided then to tell and share my emotions of my marvelous summer vacation in Portugal. More precisely, the visit of a historical wine cellar in Vila Nova de Gaia. It all started when my friends and I ( strongly enthusiastic about wine ) while surfing the web, looking for the classic phrase “ best things to do in Porto,” we finally found an interesting tour guide. The visit of “Casa Ramos Pinto,” that’s the name of this late 800’s vinho do Porto cellar. Since, neither of us ever tasted this product and also fascinated by the ancient history of the cellar, we got the tickets. The next day, after a nice walk in the sun through the streets of the city, we agreed to meet in the little square, next to the Dom Luis I bridge, where we had the pleasure to know our guide for the tour. Pedro, a young friendly Portuguese guy who was very knowledgeable, answering all the questions and also telling some jokes to make the tour funny and enjoyable. Well, let’s describe a bit the cellar… Founded by Adriano Ramos Pinto in 1880, Casa Ramos Pinto quickly became famous, at the time, for its innovative and enterprising strategy. It started operating on the Brazilian market in the early 20th century, exporting a huge quantity of wine to South America. Through the years, it did not fail to improve, that’s why now this brand stands for quality and reliability. Once inside the yellow building, one thing that caught my eyes were those funny posters commissioned to famous painters by the owner. Let’s say this marketing strategy at that time was extravagant but worthy. I tasted three styles of Port wine. White, Ruby and Tawny.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good morning guys. I've just written this article about my last summer trip.
Could you kindly revise my writing please?

Hello guys. Here I am, [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on a cold and wet winter afternoon, but comfortably sitting in front of my computer, So, I have decided [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]tell[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] share my emotions [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] about my marvelous summer vacation in Portugal. More precisely, the visit [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to a historical wine cellar in Vila Nova de Gaia. It all started when my friends and I ( strongly enthusiastic about wine ) while surfing the web, looking for the classic phrase “ best things to do in Porto,” we finally found an interesting tour guide. The visit of “Casa Ramos Pinto,” that’s the name of this late 800’s vinho do Porto cellar. Since, [STRIKE]neither [/STRIKE] none of us ever tasted this product and also fascinated by the ancient history of the cellar, we got the tickets. The next day, after a nice walk in the sun through the streets of the city, we [STRIKE]agreed[/STRIKE] decided to meet in the little square, next to the Dom Luis I bridge, where we had the pleasure to [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] meet our guide for the tour. Pedro, a young friendly Portuguese guy [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] was very knowledgeable, answering all [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] our questions and also telling some jokes to make the tour [STRIKE]funny[/STRIKE] humorous and enjoyable. Well, let’s describe a bit the cellar… Founded by Adriano Ramos Pinto in 1880, Casa Ramos Pinto quickly became famous, at the time, for its innovative and enterprising strategy. It started operating on the Brazilian market in the early 20th century, exporting a huge quantity of wine to South America. Through the years, it did not fail to improve, that’s why now this brand stands for quality and reliability (? what makes wine reliable?). Once inside the yellow (Is the color important?) building, one thing that caught my [STRIKE]eyes[/STRIKE] eye [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] was those funny posters commissioned to famous painters by the owner. Let’s say this marketing strategy at that time was extravagant but worthy. I tasted three styles of Port wine. White, Ruby and Tawny.

My shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good morning, guys. I've just written this article about my last summer trip.
Could you [STRIKE]kindly[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]revise[/STRIKE] review/correct [STRIKE]my writing[/STRIKE] it please?

Hello guys.

Here I am, [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on a cold and wet winter afternoon, [STRIKE]comfortably[/STRIKE] sitting comfortably in front of my computer.

I have decided [STRIKE]then[/STRIKE] to tell [STRIKE]and share my emotions of[/STRIKE] you about my marvellous summer vacation in Portugal.

More precisely, the visit [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to a historical wine cellar in Vila Nova de Gaia.

It all started when my friends and I (strongly enthusiastic about wine), while [STRIKE]surfing[/STRIKE] searching the web (no comma here) [STRIKE]looking[/STRIKE] for the [STRIKE]classic[/STRIKE] phrase “best things to do in Porto", [STRIKE]we[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]finally[/STRIKE] found an interesting tour guide. (A tour guide is someone who leads you on a tour. I'm not sure that's what you mean.)

[STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] It was a visit [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to “Casa Ramos Pinto" (that’s the name of this late 1800’s vinho do Porto cellar).

Since (no comma here) neither of us had ever tasted this product and we were also fascinated by the ancient history of the cellar, we got [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] tickets.

The next day, after a nice walk in the sun through the streets of the city, we agreed to meet in the little square (no comma here) next to the Dom Luis I bridge, where we had the pleasure [STRIKE]to know[/STRIKE] of meeting our guide for the tour, Pedro.

Pedro was a young, friendly Portuguese guy who was very knowledgeable, answering all [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] our questions and also telling some jokes to make the tour funny and enjoyable.

[STRIKE]Well, let’s[/STRIKE] Now I will describe [STRIKE]a bit[/STRIKE] the cellar a bit.

Founded by Adriano Ramos Pinto in 1880, Casa Ramos Pinto quickly became famous [STRIKE], at the time,[/STRIKE] for its innovative and enterprising strategy. I'm not sure what the underlined part means.

It started operating on the Brazilian market in the early 20th century, exporting a huge quantity of wine to South America.

Through the years, it did not fail to improve; that’s why [STRIKE]now[/STRIKE] this brand now stands for quality and reliability.

Once inside the yellow building, one thing that caught my [STRIKE]eyes[/STRIKE] eye [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] was [STRIKE]those[/STRIKE] some funny posters by famous painters, commissioned [STRIKE]to famous painters[/STRIKE] by the owner.

Let’s say this marketing strategy at that time was extravagant but worthy.

I tasted three styles of port [STRIKE]wine.[/STRIKE] - white, ruby and tawny.

See my corrections (in red) and my comments (in blue) above. I have put each sentence on its own line just to make it easier to read.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a question. Did you travel to Portugal to see a wine cellar?

Did the wine cellar start operating in the first century?

(Say: "Since neither of us had ever tasted that product ....")

Innovative and enterprising marketing ....

It shipped the product (wine) to Brazil.

What does "it did not fail to improve" mean?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Did the wine cellar start operating in the first century?

The later statement "Founded in 1880" shows that "800s" was a typo.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've just written this article about my last summer trip.

Can I assume by that that you won't be going on another one?
:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you make paragraphs next time?

lucakun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I've just written this article about my last summer trip.

Can I assume by that that you won't be going on another one?
:)
Why?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If somebody says it's their last one it's a reasonable assumption that there won't be another.

www.dictionary.com

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I disagree with Tarheel on that point. If you had said "my final summer vacation", I would know you had no plans to go on another one. In your context, it's perfectly clear that "last" means "most recent". You could, of course, use "most recent" instead.

lucakun

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Of course. That's what I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.