help

Hello every one
    can you please explain to me how can I use the word " rhetoric" in a sentance?
    best regards
    Meema

Re: help

Hi Meema,
    Rhetoric is a word you are likely to see in newspapers. It often has a negative connotation. Here are two examples:
    Until the advent of Mr Gorbachev, anti -Soviet rhetoric dominated Reagan's (and Thatcher's) administration.
    Politicians themselves will engage in polarising rhetoric rather than genuine debate.
    Cheers

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: help

Quote Originally Posted by meema View Post
    Hello every one
    can you please explain to me how can I use the word " rhetoric" in a sentance?
    best regards
    Meema
    A good dictionary will often list some examples:

rhet·o·ric (rĕt'ər-ĭk)
    n.
      1. The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.
      2. A treatise or book discussing this art.
    1. Skill in using language effectively and persuasively.
      1. A style of speaking or writing, especially the language of a particular subject: fiery political rhetoric.
      2. Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous: His offers of compromise were mere rhetoric.
    2. Verbal communication; discourse.
    [Middle English rethorik, from Old French rethorique, from Latin rhētoricē, rhētorica, from Greek rhētorikē (tekhnē), rhetorical (art), feminine of rhētorikos, rhetorical, from rhētōr, rhetor. See rhetor.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2004, 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.