• Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Dialectic features

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    For some reason I have it in my head that it had reopened in LA—Marina Del Rey, or someplace like that. True? Hard to picture a Califormia-style Antioch-By-the-Sea.
    It wasn't a matter of reopening. Antioch had a wildly ambitious and impractical expansionist president in the Sixties who opened a large network of branch campuses. The college became a university, with the Yellow Springs campus retaining the "College" name, and quickly began to hemorrhage money. Most of the branches were closed within ten years, but the administration continued to focus on the diminished network at the expense of the college. They eventually took out a large loan and built a building for the university on the edge of town, shutting down the college a few years later.

People dedicated to reviving the college launched a fundraiser and found a way to reopen, separate from the university, and renovate the original campus. The landmark Main Building remains closed after suffering severe damage from broken sprinkler pipes during the shutdown.
    I am not a teacher.

VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Dialectic features

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    It wasn't a matter of reopening. Antioch had a wildly ambitious and impractical expansionist president in the Sixties who opened a large network of branch campuses. The college became a university, with the Yellow Springs campus retaining the "College" name, and quickly began to hemorrhage money. Most of the branches were closed within ten years, but the administration continued to focus on the diminished network at the expense of the college. They eventually took out a large loan and built a building for the university on the edge of town, shutting down the college a few years later.

People dedicated to reviving the college launched a fundraiser and found a way to reopen, separate from the university, and renovate the original campus. The landmark Main Building remains closed after suffering severe damage from broken sprinkler pipes during the shutdown.
    Glad I asked. I had a friend who went to the one in Keene, New Hampshire.

Antioch was my sister's dream college. She didn't get in. Broke her heart. But she spent too much time with extra-curriculars and not enough doing homework.

I don't think she regrets the extra-curricluars for a minute. Got a Columbia poli-sci doctorate and has been teaching ever since.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2