[General] Do I sound like I'm from Northern Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyLifeisweird

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
Hello, I've had a speech impediment since I was born and I'm often misunderstood because of my speech impediment. I want my speech impediment to go away but it's hard because I no longer live in an English speaking country. So I can't pronounce particular sounds correctly such as r,ch,u(tub) and I don't know the pronunciation difference between Y and L so I pronounce use and lose the same I'm going to read this text now and you have to say what accent I have

I don't know how to upload an audio file. Can someone please tell me how I can upload one.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Record whatever you want to say on vocaroo, souncloud or a similar site. Copy the url that points to your recording and paste it into a new post in this thread.

Unless you say wundah for window (pace Ian Paisley) it's unlikely you sound like you're from Northern Ireland.

Last edited:

MyLifeisweird

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
Here is the link Please tell me what accent I have and I know my voice sounds really weird lol if you think I'm not clear enough please tell me to do it again and please tell me if you understand what I'm saying https://voca.ro/g6nM4vxpzbC

MyLifeisweird

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
Record whatever you want to say on vocaroo, souncloud or a similar site. Copy the url that points to your recording and paste it into a new post in this thread.

Unless you say wundah for window (pace Ian Paisley) it's unlikely you sound like you're from Northern Ireland.

this is how I pronoune window https://voca.ro/nKenDWyVfAT

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You don't sound like you're from Northern Ireland but it is difficult to make out what you're saying on a low-quality recording like this.

Are you having, or have you ever had, any professional speech therapy?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is something in the background of both your recordings causing a high-pitched whistle/hum which makes it almost impossible to hear what you're saying. Try moving your laptop to a very quiet room, don't have your phone or anything else electronic nearby, and make the recording again. We need no background noise. Also, speak a little louder.

MyLifeisweird

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
You don't sound like you're from Northern Ireland but it is difficult to make out what you're saying on a low-quality recording like this.

Are you having, or have you ever had, any professional speech therapy?

My primary school was a special needs school for people with speech impediment and I had speech therapy there but I don't have speech therapy anymore

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The new recording has few recognizable words in it. Its quality is still very poor, though, so it's impossible to judge your pronunciation. You're having a technical problem with the equipment.

Do people usually understand you?

Status
Not open for further replies.