Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd say "when they're really not" or "when they really aren't". Here "really" modifies 'not'. They're definitely not.
You could say "when they are not really." Here, "really" could modify "innocent, kind, etc." They are not particularly/ especially kind, etc.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'd say "when they're really not" or "when they really aren't". Here "really" modifies 'not'. They're definitely not.
You could say "when they are not really." Here, "really" could modify "innocent, kind, etc." They are not particularly/ especially kind, etc.

When "they are not really" is used, does it have to be followed by something else, e.g., an adjective?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello,

1. "Really" is my favorite word in the English language.

2. Some years back, at another grammar helpline, I asked so many questions about that word that the website's owner very gently asked me to stop posting questions about what word was modified by that adverb in particular sentences (for there is often a difference of opinion).

3. Since this is a discussion forum, I would like to share my opinion, which could be completely wrong, of course.

4. "Mona is nice," "Mona is not nice," and "Mona is not really nice." From what I have read, the third sentence is midway between the first two sentences.

a. In other words, Mona poses as a nice person, but people who know her well realize that she is a phony.

5. "Mona is really not nice" means to me something like: "I am telling you the truth. Please believe me: Mona is not nice!" In other words, it might be restated as "Really, Mona is not nice" or even "Mona[,] really[,] is not nice."

Raul knows a few dozen phrases in the Chinese language. Nothing more. One day he says something in Chinese to Mona (who speaks fluent Chinese).

Mona: Wow! I didn't know that you speak Chinese.
Raul (chuckling): I do not really [actually] speak Chinese. (In other words, it lies between "I speak Chinese" and "I do not speak Chinese.")

Mona: I think that you are being modest, I am going to tell all my Chinese friends that you speak Chinese.
Raul: Don't do that, please! I really [in fact] do not speak Chinese! / Really [Believe me], I do not speak Chinese. I will be totally mortified [embarrassed] if a friend of yours speaks to me in Chinese and I am unable to answer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When "they are not really" is used, does it have to be followed by something else, e.g., an adjective?

Not actually uttered, no, but the adjective would be implied, so it is kind of there, logically speaking.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How about "He looks taller than he is really/really is"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, I'd use only "... than he really is".

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How about "He doesn't look happy, when in fact he is really/really is"?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about "He doesn't look happy, when in fact he is really/really is"?

NOT A TEACHER

In my opinion:

Mona: Tom doesn't look very rich. He always wears shabby clothing. He drives a 1994 car. And he lives in a run-down apartment house.

Raul (chuckling). Don't let that fool you. He is terrified that if other people know that he has millions, they will try to take his money away. Believe you me, he is rich. He really is.

* Depending on how you pronounce "really" in speech, in that context, "really" could be emphasizing (modifying) "is" or referring to the truthfulness of the whole statement "He is [rich]."

Raul: Believe you me, he is, really.

* With the comma or the pause in speech, "really" is referring to the truthfulness of the statement "He is [rich]."

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Depending on how you pronounce "really" in speech, in that context, "really" could be emphasizing (modifying) "is" or referring to the truthfulness of the whole statement "He is [rich]."

Nicely expressed. That's exactly what I've been trying to figure out how to say. Thanks.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Is the following natural and correct?

He said he will fly to Japan, when he will not really.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's correct but it's not natural. I might say "He said he's going to Japan, when he's (actually) not".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is more natural in American English: He said he was going to fly to Japan, but he isn't really.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I am wondering whether "really" can end a clause where it is preceded by "will not."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can. Whether it should or not depends on context. Part of the reason some of these examples sound unnatural to native speakers is that we don't use "will not" when we can use "won't". We're more used to hearing the latter.

He says he'll come to the party. He won't.
He says he'll come to the party. He won't really.
He says he'll come to the party. He won't really, but it's nice of him to pretend he's interested.

We use contractions a lot more than textbooks and teachers indicate. I've marked all the contractions in this post in red so you can see how prevalent they are.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
How about the following?

He says he'll be available next week. He won't be really.
He says he'll be available next week. He won't really be.
He says he'll be available next week. He really won't be.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For a start, I'd remove "be" from the second sentence in each example. I would use "He won't really".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For a start, I'd remove "be" from the second sentence in each example. I would use "He won't really".
He won't really: It's not actually true.
He really won't: I'm completely sure he won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.