Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello. This exercise says if more than one tense is possible explain the difference. I think it is possible to use the present perfect and the present perfect progressive in 1 and 4. But I am not sure what the difference is. Could you pleasee check if my choices are correct? Both actions haven't been completed. Maybe the only difference is that the progressive focuses on the duration and the present perfect on the result? It's from Medicine by Sam McCarter.

1. Has been having or has had
2. Do you normally go?
3. The pain has eased or eased. (I am not sure''eased'' is OK).
4. I have been lying/have lied
5. Getting worse
6. I am not taking
7. Does the pain spread?

medicine2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello. This exercise says if more than one tense is possible explain the difference. I think it is possible to use the present perfect and the present perfect progressive in 1 and 4. But I am not sure what the difference is. Could you pleasee check if my choices are correct? Both actions haven't been completed. Maybe the only difference is that the progressive focuses on the duration and the present perfect on the result? It's from Medicine by Sam McCarter.

1. Has been having or has had
2. Do you normally go?
3. The pain has eased or eased. (I am not sure''eased'' is OK).
4. I have been lying/have lied
5. Getting worse
6. I am not taking
7. Does the pain spread?
You haven't made many mistakes. On 4, correct lied, which means you didn't tell the truth. On 5, your answer is almost right but a little sloppy. On 7, your answer is right, but I don't think it's the answer they're looking for.

You're right that 1 and 4 can be both present perfect and present perfect progressive.

But on 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 there are more possibilities. Look again!

(That's is a tough exercise.)

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Thank you so much for your answer. Oh, I misread. It should be ''I have lain in bed'' or ''Have been lying'' In 5 I used ''is getting'' because it suggests a change. If in 7 my choice is not the answer they are looking for, what would you suggest using? In other exaMples of the book they use the present simple. So I thought I could use it in 7 too. In 2 I used the present simple. Normally is like usually so why not? In 3 I believe it must be ''the pain has eased.'' In 6 since it is period around now I used the progressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.