Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are you asking about the attachment? I don't think it was removed intentionally. It may have been a glitch of some kind. Try putting it up again.

Yes, I am. OK.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The terms you're asking about in post #23 involves a lot of medical terminology shorthand that someone who isn't a medical professional is unlikely to know. What you're asking about doesn't seem to be a English text as much as a medical transcription course. We've been able to puzzle out a few of them just because most of us have been to a doctor at some point in our lives and may have overheard some of the vocabulary. Either that, or we've watched enough medical drama on TV to recognize some of the lingo.

PR would be 'pulse rate', because they normally take your pulse along with your blood pressure.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you. Was my post removed? Did I break the rules of this forum? There are 2 abbreviations which I cannot find.Will have to keep searching....
CRS cardiorenal syndrome
pR ?
gwe?View attachment 3399
He hepatic encelophathy

Encelophathy has to be garbled. Surely it must be encephalopathy, which according to its classical roots would mean "disease of the brain."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
O/E sweaty no abnormalities in CRS (cardio-renal system). BP 138/82. PR
110/min regular. He [was] give[n] analgesia, streptokinase, I/V beta
blockers – continue[d]. Pain settle[d] and after two days beg[a]n [to]
mobilize

Basically, he's had an uncomplicated heart attack (myocardial infarct), and at the time of writing he was doing well. You'd have to know the situation to know whether the last sentence means "After two days, begin to mobilize", or what I've written.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
O/E sweaty no abnormalities in CRS (cardio-renal system). BP 138/82. PR
110/min regular. He [was] give[n] analgesia, streptokinase, I/V beta
blockers – continue[d]. Pain settle[d] and after two days beg[a]n [to]
mobilize

Basically, he's had an uncomplicated heart attack (myocardial infarct), and at the time of writing he was doing well. You'd have to know the situation to know whether the last sentence means "After two days, begin to mobilize", or what I've written.
Thank you so much. I would have never gussed that He gwe means ''he was given''. I thought that pR might stand for pulse rate but but when I googled it I found out it is written as PR not as pR.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You're welcome. I would never have guessed that 'give' could be read as 'gwe'. You'll note that none of the i's are dotted, and the 'i' below, in "pain", is exactly the same as the 'i' in give.
If you're studying medical (or any) transcription, you'll need to pick up a few tips on just reading other people's writing. Tip 1: If you're not sure what a letter is, see if you can find another one that looks the same which might be in an easier word.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you studying to be a medical professional, Rachel? If not, you may like to know that the great majority of native English-speakers go through their lives without needing to know more than five or six of the abbreviations in this thread.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Are you studying to be a medical professional, Rachel? If not, you may like to know that the great majority of native English-speakers go through their lives without needing to know more than five or six of the abbreviations in this thread.
No, I am not but I am helping someone who is. Like I said, I found this discussion very helpful. Native speakers who answered my question might not know or need most of them. You are right. I don't need to know similar abbreviations in Russian. :)Two things are not still clear to me. I had a fever of 101 ''one oh one'' why not ''one hundred and one'' and when someone is feverish in 98.8 F and 37.1 C in British English would a native speaker pronounce Celsius and fahrenheit? Or would he/she say ninety-eight point 8 thirty-seven point one?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"One oh one" and "a hundred and one" are common. "One hundred and one" is harder to say so it's rarer. We usually omit "degrees" and only specify the scale (Fahrenheit or Celsius) when we think there's a risk of confusion. Only Fahrenheit is common in everyday use in the States.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And centigrade (OK, Celsius) is more common in the UK. A lovely warm summer's day here is 25 degrees. To someone in the States, that's really cold!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, and 100 degrees Fahrenheit is quite warm, but 100 degrees Celsius is way past uncomfortable.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.