English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: The cautious rabbit didnít move until the dog was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shee View Post
    I thought the actions were rabbit "didn't move" then dog "was gone"?[ - so we only look at "move"?
    Think about the meaning of the sentence. The dog left before the rabbit moved.

So if the verb is changed to "remained still", will the following be correct:

"The cautious rabbit had remained still until the dog was gone" ?
    You can change the verb but you still can't use past perfect there in the first clause. You need to keep it in past simple.

The cautious rabbit remained still until the dog was/had gone.

The sequence of events is still the sameóthe dog leaves first and then the rabbit moves. Your confusion lies in the fact that you're thinking about the verbs rather than the actions of the dog and rabbit.

2. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The cautious rabbit didn’t move until the dog was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    Think about the meaning of the sentence. The dog left before the rabbit moved.

You can change the verb but you still can't use past perfect there in the first clause. You need to keep it in past simple.

The cautious rabbit remained still until the dog was/had gone.

The sequence of events is still the same¬—the dog leaves first and then the rabbit moves. Your confusion lies in the fact that you're thinking about the verbs rather than the actions of the dog and rabbit.
    Thank you for your reply. I truly appreciate it people here taking the time to help me with my questions. And I think I could see your point about the actions - what I was thinking was (I'm trying to elaborate them in a timeline):

Rabbit remains/stays still --> dog leaves ----> rabbit moves

Therefore, my logic was the rabbit's "staying still" came before the dog's departure, hence my past perfect tense was in the rabbit's action (of not moving).

If both parts/verbs in the sentence had been affirmative, I would have had no question saying "The rabbit moved after the dog had gone". My confusion was the verb being negative (not move = stay still).

Anyway, I think I am clear now and thank you again for your input.

Last but not least, so my first sentence "The cautious rabbit didn't move until the dog was gone" was correct (I posted the original question because my sentence was corrected to "had gone"). lol

Have a good one and stay healthy.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2