Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Great Britain
Hi everyone,

I'm translating a short story by Irish writer Colum McCann and I can't understand the meaning of one phrase. I would really appreciate your help.

It's a realistic story set in a small Irish town in the sixties. The protagonist describes his friends in an informal way. He says “Some of my friends were working in the chipper, other were bringing in the tired hay, and a couple of them were selling golf balls down at the club”.

What does “bringing in the tired hay”mean? Is it a figure of speech or is it about the specific type of hay?

Thanks for your help!

Alex

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to the forum. :hi:

The forum editor sometimes leaves out some spaces when you paste text in. Please edit your post to add the missing spaces. Sorry for the inconvenience!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My guess is that the hay was old and in less-than-perfect condition.

Aleksey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Great Britain
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks a lot!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The gratitude is appreciated, but we prefer that you just click "Thank". It's more efficient. :)

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In traditional hay making the grass is cut and left to dry on the ground before being gathered. I would assume that this is an Irish dialect expression meaning that the hay has dried sufficiently.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

I know this idiom: I have to get up early for work tomorrow, so I think I'd better hit the hay.

I think the previous commenter is right; it means a herb that the hay has dried sufficiently.

Please note my corrections (in red) above. The words I have marked in blue don't make sense there. What did you mean?

Please also note that I have added "Not a teacher" to the top of your response. Whilst it is good that you want to help other learners, you must make it clear in your responses that you are not a teacher. Once you have made ten public posts on the forum, you will be able to add a signature line that makes it clear instead.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for your corrections! Now I [STRIKE]understand[/STRIKE] know that I did the right thing [STRIKE]that I did register[/STRIKE] by registering.

Welcome! We look forward to answering your own questions about the English language. Take some time to look at the different sections of the forum to get a good idea of how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.