Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi teachers.

Are my sentences natural with the word "buster"?

1) I see ya, buster. (My friend and I agreed to meet and I saw him in the crowd.)
2) Make with the beers, buster! (I went to a bar and said to the bartender.)

I think they're British English and natural but a bit corny and rude. Am I right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
They're not typically heard in British English. In writing, capitalise 'Buster'.

#2 is rude.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi teachers.

Are my sentences natural with the word "buster"?

1) I see ya, buster. (My friend and I agreed to meet and I saw him in the crowd.)
2) Make with the beers, buster! (I went to a bar and said that to the bartender.)

I think they're British English and natural but a bit corny and rude. Am I right?

I imagine bartenders have heard worse. But what you and your friend say to each other is one thing. However, with somebody who is a relative stranger it's better to stick with what you know won't give offense.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Buster is belligerent. If you want to get in a fight, use it. If you don't, don't.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Get the beers in, mate.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Get the beers in, mate.

Thanks a lot, Tdol. I am also interested to know the American English version of this sentence. So I asked on WR.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not the same in American English. We don't use "mate" as they do in Britain (and also, apparently, in Australia).

But I would like a beer. Buy me a beer?
:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks a lot, Tdol. I am also interested to know the American English version of this sentence. So I asked on WR.

Sorry- I misread and posted what I would ask a friend if I wanted them to buy the beer. I would ask the bartender simply X beers, please, or, more likely, the brands- two pints of Stella and one Guinness, please.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Get the beers in, mate.

I'd say that's a perfectly good sentence to say to one of your friends in the same group as you at the pub. Basically, you're saying it's their round! I wouldn't say it to the bartender though. "Get ... in" there means "buy".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not American at all. We don't call people mate, and "Get the beers in" is meaningless. In from where? Why?

If I were in a pub in England and heard someone say that, I'd just keep my mouth shut and watch to see what happens.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say that's a perfectly good sentence to say to one of your friends in the same group as you at the pub. Basically, you're saying it's their round! I wouldn't say it to the bartender though. "Get ... in" there means "buy".
Aha! Now I don't have to go to England to find out.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
AmE does use 'buster'. Without further context, it would generally be taken as antagonistic - "Watch it, buster!"

However, used amongst friends or family, it can take on a more jovial sense. It can even be a name (usually a nickname). My friend's son is known as "Buster" to everyone who actually knows him. When he was a very young child, one of his older sisters mock chided him with "You better watch it buster", and from that day onward his family started calling him Buster. When I first met the family, they introduced him as 'Buster'. It was a couple of years until I heard the story and found out that wasn't his actual name.

On a side note, I'd recommend watching "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" if you enjoy anthology type films with dark humor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.