An emotional account of a boss and his workers (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: An emotional account of a boss and his work PART-III ers

I didn't say your writing is idiosyncratic. I said we should avoid that. (I'm trying to help you make better word choices so it's easier to understand and more natural.

It's a good story. But I have a little confused. Are Robert and Samantha married or are they brother sister?

Do you have another one?

Last edited:

hatimhussain

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

Tarheel, I am seriously learning by your corrections in my writing. Now I think twice in using appropriate words. I understand being a non-native English language learner, the process of learning will never end.
Tarheel, at #8 I have mentioned the relation between Samantha and Robert as sister and brother.
And yes, Tarheel I am working on a plot to write a story, based on Corona virus.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tarheel, I am seriously learning by your corrections in my writing. Now I think twice in using appropriate words. I understand being a non-native English language learner, the process of learning will never end.
Tarheel, at #8 I have mentioned the relation between Samantha and Robert as sister and brother.
And yes, Tarheel I am working on a plot to write a story, based on the Corona virus.

If my experience on this forum is any indication, the most common mistakes made by ESL learners have to do with modifiers and prepositions. (I've been doing it since 2003.) Some people get hung up on grammar, but the average native speaker doesn't know as many grammar terms as some ESL learners on this forum. (After we leave school we forget half of what we learned there.)

When I see a "new" grammar term I ask myself if I'm going to see it again in 60 years. If the answer is no then my response is "Why bother?

hatimhussain

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

Quite true Tarheel. The most common mistakes made by ESL learners have to do with modifiers. The likely reason to me is that we the ESL learners first think in our native languages and then convert our thoughts into English language. In doing so we consult dictionaries to find the parallel meanings. Normally, we are not concerned with the appropriateness of the selections of words and in this process, we are proned to commit blunders. Prepositions are most tricky subject for the ESL learners to deal with. I believe the only way to avoid mistakes in using them is to practice them continuously in our writing. Please comment.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Quite true Tarheel. The most common mistakes made by ESL learners have to do with modifiers. The likely reason to me is that we the ESL learners first think in our native languages and then convert our thoughts into the English language. In doing so we consult dictionaries to find the parallel meanings. Normally, we are not concerned with the appropriateness of the selections of words and in this process, we are prone to commit blunders. Prepositions are most tricky subject for the ESL learners to deal with. I believe the only way to avoid mistakes in using them is to practice them continuously in our writing. Please comment.

Two things. It is is always a mistake to think in your native language first and then convert to English. It just doesn't work. Besides, that's not yout goal.

As for the other thing, yes. Practice! Practice! Practice!

Status
Not open for further replies.