Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Is this sentence correct? – "You won't get your phone back as long as you say your lessons to me"

Can I use these phrases “say one’s lessons” and “test whether one can say one’s lessons” in a sentence? like –

1. Say your lessons to me.
2. I will test you whether you can say your lessons.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You mean "unless."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what say your lessons to me is intended to mean.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this sentence correct? – "You won't get your phone as long as you say your lessons to me."

No. It doesn't make sense. Maybe you mean: "You won't get your phone back until you do your homework."

Can I use these phrases “say one’s lessons” and “test whether one can say one’s lessons” in a sentence? like –

No. We don't say lessons. The expression is meaningless.

1. Say your lessons to me.

No. Maybe you mean "Tell me what you learned," or "Tell me what your homework is."

2. I will test you whether you can say your lessons.

No. Maybe you mean "I will test you on what you learned."
Your meaning is unclear. Tell us more about what you want to say.

Thank you!

(Double cross-post)

Last edited:

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

Your meaning is unclear. Tell us more about what you want to say.

Thank you!

(Double cross-post)

I took a boy's phone because he plays game all day long and told him to study. Then he angrily told me to give his phone back. Assuring him I gave a condition that "I will give his phone back if he can say what he has studied otherwise not" I mean I will ask some questions from his studied part to check that whether he has studied well or not. That is why I asked this question "You won't get your phone back as long as you say your lessons to me"

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I took a boy's phone because he plays game all day long and told him to study. Then he angrily told me to give his phone back. Assuring him I gave a condition that "I will give his phone back if he can say what he has studied otherwise not" I mean I will ask some questions from his studied part to check that whether he has studied well or not. That is why I asked this question "You won't get your phone back as long as you say your lessons to me"
Thank you. That helps!

I'd probably say something like: "You can't have your phone back until you show me your homework."

It makes more sense to ask him to show his work than to say his work.

Homework is our word for school work that a student does at home. Home + work = homework.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I took a boy's phone because he plays games all day long, and I told him to study. Then he angrily told me to give him his phone back. Assuring him that he would get his phone back, I said "I will give his his phone back if he can say what he has studied otherwise not" I mean I will ask some questions from his studied part to check that whether he has studied well or not. That is why I asked this question "You won't get your phone back as long as you say your lessons to me"

No. You could say:

You will get your phone back after we're finished.

Or:

You will get your phone back after lessons are over.

Or something like that.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
No. You could say:

You will get your phone back after we're finished.

Or:

You will get your phone back after lessons are over.

Or something like that.

Can I say these also - "You won't get your phone back unless you can tell me what you've learned" or "You won't get your phone back unless you can tell me what you've studied"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can, but we aware that "what you have studied" and "what you have learned" don't mean the same. Can you work out what the difference might be?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say these also - "You won't get your phone back unless you can tell me what you've learned" or "You won't get your phone back unless you can tell me what you've studied"

That seems to me to be unnecessarily confrontational. I would just tell him he'll get the phone back after the lesson is over.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
You can, but we aware that "what you have studied" and "what you have learned" don't mean the same. Can you work out what the difference might be?

If I translate these two sentences in Bengali I get the accurate meaning of what we say in daily conversations .

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
That seems to me to be unnecessarily confrontational. I would just tell him he'll get the phone back after the lesson is over.

Yes, I also think it's an aggressive way of telling him to study. But what can I do! I can't think of another way to make himself study because he is an unruly child.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I also think it's an aggressive way of telling him to study (no full stop here) but what can I do? I can't think of another way to make [STRIKE]himself[/STRIKE] him study because he is an unruly child.

If it works, great. If it doesn't what are you going to threaten him with next? If he's that badly behaved, you should be reporting it to your superiors and someone should be contacting his parents.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think we should be judging each other's parenting skills. Let's stick to the use of English.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I also think it's an aggressive way of telling him to study. But what can I do! I can't think of another way to make himself study because he is an unruly child.
This is a good place to get English advice but a bad place to get parenting advice.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think we should be judging each other's parenting skills. Let's stick to the use of English.

This is a good place to get English advice but a bad place to get parenting advice.

I'm not sure if those were aimed at my response but, if so, I can assure you I wasn't attempting to give parenting advice. For a start, the OP isn't the parent of the child in question. I was simply basing my answer on the fact that, when I was at school, if a child continually misbehaved in class and the teacher was unable to rectify that, the child would be reported/taken to the headmaster/headmistress for a good talking to. If that didn't solve the problem, the school would contact the parents and ask them to come in for a serious conversation about the child's behaviour. None of those things are comments on the parenting skills.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh

I didn't ask any advice of parenting, I just replied to "Tarheel's" comment on why I used those sentences because he found my sentences as confrontational or aggressive.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dukul, I'm pretty sure he was talking about us, not you.

Status
Not open for further replies.