Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Hi.
I've written this video game review which is to be posted on Metacritic. I'd greatly appreciate if you could have a look at it and correct any mistakes.

Thanks.

I grew up with this series, so I've developed a special fondness for the three instalments. This remake is a thrilling ride packed with a fair number of nerve-wracking moments that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Nevertheless, it has not reached the height of the prequel, which was certainly pulled off a little better. The major shortcoming of this remake is its criminally short duration, and the fact that it's not entirely true to its roots. A lot of iconic locations that made the original instalment renowned have been omitted, and the lack of puzzles is deeply disappointing. In fairness though, the campaign is highly cinematic with constant action set pieces always pushing the game forward.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Which game/series are you talking about?

Your references are unclear. The first sentence, for example—is this a remake of only one of those 'instalments'? Which one?

Is the prequel also one of those three? What's the 'original' instalment?

Captain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
I was talking about RE3 remake, the sequel of RE2 remake. I didn't mention the name because as I posted in my opening sentence, that review was posted on Metacritic, where every game has it's own section (if that's the right word).
Thank you for your comments, though.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's a homophone problem.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was talking about the RE3 remake. It's [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a sequel [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to the RE2 remake. I didn't mention the name because, as I posted in my opening sentence, that review was posted on Metacritic, where every game has [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] its own section (if that's the right word).

Please note my corrections above.

(Out of curiosity, what does "RE" stand for in the game's title?)

Captain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Thank you for your corrections.
RE stands for Resident Evil.
Do I need a definite article before the name?
There's only one prequel to RE3 Remake. Do I need an indefinite article?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your corrections.
RE stands for Resident Evil.
Do I need a definite article before the name?
There's only one prequel to the RE3 Remake. Do I need an indefinite article?

If there's just one RE2 Remake and one RE3 Remake, say "It's the sequel to the RE2 Remake". However, I think there's a problem with your terminology. Do you understand that "RE2 Remake" means "Remake of RE2"? So there would be two versions of RE2 - the original and a remake. I don't think that's the case. I think there's just the original Resident Evil, then RE2 and then RE3. Am I correct?
Also, capitalising "remake" means it is part of the title. If it's not actually called "RE2 Remake", don't capitalise the word.

Captain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
There are in fact two versions of RE2 and RE3; the original and the remake. Also, since "Remake" is part part of the title, I should've capitalized it in the OP.
Thanks for your explanation.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I grew up with this series, so I've developed a special fondness for the three instalments.

There's a problem here.

When you say this series, it seems you're talking about the remakes, not the original series, which is what many readers would naturally understand.

Another problem is your use of the words prequel/sequel, which I don't think is right. When you have a trilogy of films or games as we have here, we normally talk about the first instalment released as the 'original', the second as the 'sequel' and the third as another sequel. The word prequel just refers to a story that is set before the events of the original. That is, it does not refer to a previous release. Does that make sense?

One very complicating factor with the Resident Evil games relates to the word original. You can understand the first 9 games as the original series (RE1-7 plus Code Veronica and Zero), and the three (soon to be four) remakes as the remake series, of which RE1 is the original remake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.