• Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

tautology

Here is the text under the title "Avoid tautology":
    "This is the use of words that say the same things twice. For instance: 'Some of the remarks included...' and 'it is an essential condition.' In both cases only one of the italicised words is needed."
    I hardly see any tautology with "some" and "included", but I can't find it at all with the "essential condition"! Could you explain me this, please?

Re: tautology

The tautology with "some" and "included" is because if the remarks included A, B and C, that automatically means that there were some other remarks as well; it already includes the sense of "some". For example:

The Harry Potter books include The Philosopher's Stone and The Goblet of Fire.

Some of the Harry Potter books are The Philosopher's Stone and The Goblet of Fire.

Those two sentences mean the same thing.

A condition is something that must be true or exist for something else to happen. If the condition is not met, that thing cannot happen. Therefore all conditions are essential: there is no such thing as a non-essential condition, as that would be a contradiction in terms.

Tautology isn't always easy to sopt, especially as most of them (like "essential conditions") have almost become clichés and we hardly think about it. I think politicians can be blamed for a lot of them, as they try to use lots of big words to sound important.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

what About blind faith!
    coz faith is blind always

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by meliss View Post
    Here is the text under the title "Avoid tautology":
    "This is the use of words that say the same things twice. For instance: 'Some of the remarks included...' and 'it is an essential condition.' In both cases only one of the italicised words is needed."
    I hardly see any tautology with "some" and "included", but I can't find it at all with the "essential condition"! Could you explain me this, please?
    Some people prefer to reserve the word "pleonasm" for redundant words used like this, and "tautology" for saying the same things (Greek, ta auta) twice.

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Some people prefer to reserve the word "pleonasm" for redundant words used like this, and "tautology" for saying the same things (Greek, ta auta) twice.

b
    But a pleonasm is a little different than tautology; it's the use of more words than are needed to express something that can be expressed in fewer terms.... the best example I can give is "at this moment in time"- five words- obviously it's much easier to say one word- "now". Tautology is more like an overuse of similar words. I agree with rewboss: I blame the politicians trying to sound impotant- I work with lots of them and they are worst abusers of the English language.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by trolleygirl View Post
    .[T]he best example I can give is "at this moment in time"- five words- obviously it's much easier to say one word- "now".
    I call that plain logorrhoea.

b.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

You are so wise! Thank you very much (is this tautology?)