Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He spilled milk all over the floor.

Does the word "all" function as an adverb modifying e prepositional phrase "over the floor"?Or is it a determiner or some other part of speech? Thank you.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
He spilled milk all over the floor.

I think it’s preferable to treat "all" as a determinative, where the underlined sequence is a PP in which "all" functions as modifier.

"All over" is partly idiomatic: if we omit "all" the natural preposition to use would be "on" rather than "over".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hi,

1. Thanks to your question, I was able to learn something new about English grammar today.

2. I checked three sources.

a. The website Wiktionary feels that one should parse "all over" (as used in your sentence) as a preposition. Its example: "He dropped the bucket and got paint all over the floor."

b. L.G. Alexander's Longman English Grammar (1988), pages 151-152, parses "all" as an adverb that modifies the preposition in "Our baby went on crying all through the night."

c. Four respected scholars in A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language (1985), page 685, give this sentence: "They splashed water (all) over me." The parentheses indicate that the authors feel that "all" is optional.

In my opinion, "He spilled milk over the floor" does not sound natural. I feel that "all" is required in your sentence. Therefore, I personally would parse "all over" in your type of sentence as a preposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.