Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Having no enough backgound knowledge, I can't understand this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnd1jKcfBRE

I've got three questions about the video:

1)What's the video about? (in short, in general)
2) What's funny about it? (in short or in detail, as you like)
3) What is Friday food parcel?

I would be glad to get some 'cultural' comment to try to understand it better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, I've never been asked to explain comedy before! I liked Mitchell and Webb though. Basically, you need to know that it was filmed in 2009 (so long before the current international crisis) but it is set sometime after a fictitious apocalyptic event. It specifically states that not everyone survived. It suggests that everyone receives a delivery of food (from some central point) every Friday. The "quiz show" itself is intended to be ridiculous, with three very different contestants and ridiculous questions/answers.

When it was first broadcast, it would have been funny because the idea of everyone having to stay indoors because of some catastrophic event seemed far-fetched and ridiculous. Nowadays, it's either still funny (because some of us still have our sense of humour intact) or it's not funny because it's too close to the truth.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you very much for your explanation. To be honest, I thought that 'Friday food parcel' was something very common in and typical of Britain that everybody is familiar with, except myself :) Now it's clear that the video itself is funny (or not so funny) and there is no any specific background information one needs to know to understand it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He says "Friday food parcel" with an inflection that sounds like it's a regular occurrence. The actual audience is meant to hear it as an example of the post-apocalyptic reality that's part of every-day life for his fictional audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.