Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
I've read off a philosophical passage so that you can evaluate my accent. Please point out any mistakes in my recording.
Thanks
https://voca.ro/1Tdq2BijrAg

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's too fast and you sound like you're panicking towards the middle portion, since you're taking quick breaths in the middle of sentences. This leads to near unintelligibility in some parts.

It's also very slightly 'staccato'. You could link the words together more fluently. Think of your speech as a constant flow of sound rather than a series of bursts.

artificer should be pronounced with a 's' not a 'sh' in the middle.

I think you can do better than this. Why don't you try again? But slow down, and calm down.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With the exception of the breathless part, I understood every word. It's a complicated text so I think you actually did quite well. I agree with jutfrank's opinion that you read it too fast, though.

I have one query though - your member profile says you are a native German speaker, born in and still living in Germany. You do not sound like a German speaker speaking English. To me, you have many hallmarks of someone who is perhaps Japanese, Chinese, or Korean. Are you sure that your member profile is correct? If it's not, please correct it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try speaking rather than reading- reading is not a natural way of recording speech. It's better to record yourself telling us about your last holiday, your favourite book, or what you did yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.