[General] What's the difference between Assure and Ensure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Macedonian
Home Country
Macedonia
Current Location
Macedonia
I'm in need of assistance since I can't wrap my head around these two terms. Assure and Ensure sound so similar to me and I tend to use them arbitrary. Now I saw some differences between these two words and I still can't figure it out. On top of it all, when I speak with my English speaking friends I know I've used this words wrong and they didn't correct me, are English speaking natives confused about this thing as well ?
Thanks in advance

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The definitions aren't bad. But to be fair, some of the link is confusing. For instance, this example is wrong: "I ensure you that your child will be fine with us."

No. I don't ensure you. I assure you!

Colee, look in a better dictionary. Print dictionaries are usually better than online. (I assure you that using a print dictionary will ensure that the definition is correct.)

Meanwhile here are more examples:
- I assured him that the ladder is safe. / I inspected the ladder to ensure that it's safe.

- Can you assure me that they'll cash my check? / Let me phone them to ensure that they'll cash your check.

- She doubted that I would return and needed to be assured. / She made me leave her my wallet, watch, keys, smartphone, and ring to ensure that I would return.​

To assure is kind of like promising. To ensure is kind of like getting insurance.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You assure a person. Remove doubts. Promise.

You ensure that an outcome or event will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.