Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I have answered IELTS questions related to parties. I would be grateful if you help me see my mistakes.

"What are the main reasons why people organise family parties in your country?
People living in my country mostly organise a party to celebrate birthdays and marriage anniversaries. We invite our relatives, friends, colleagues and neighbours to our house to enjoy the party and spend quality time together.

In some places, people spend a lot of money on parties that celebrate special family events. Is this ever true in your country? Do you think this is a good trend or a bad trend?
It totally depends on people’s economic conditions. The middle class tend to throw simpler parties whereas people who have an extravagant lifestyle tend to have greater celebrations. I find the latter very disturbing, since it demonstrates class differences in the society and widens the gap between the rich and the poor. Besides, I consider lavish parties waste of money because money could always be poured into much more important things rather than organising parties.

Are there many differences between family parties and parties given by friends? Why do you think this is?
Certainly yes! Although the core objective of a party is to provide fun and happiness to the participants, there are some apparent differences between family parties and parties given by friends.
At a party held by friends, people do not mind strict manners and feel freier. They normally do not care about drinking so much or going wild, since they do not have any pressure on them. On the other hand, a family oriented party may have a bit solemn atmosphere, since some of family elders are present. Therefore, people are expected to behave with proper decorum."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have answered IELTS questions related to parties. I would be grateful if you help me see my mistakes.

"What are the main reasons why people organise family parties in your country?
People living in my country mostly organise a party to celebrate birthdays and marriage anniversaries. We invite our relatives, friends, colleagues and neighbours to our house to enjoy the party and spend quality time together.

In some places, people spend a lot of money on parties that celebrate special family events. Is this ever true in your country? Do you think this is a good trend or a bad trend?
It totally depends on people’s economic conditions. The middle class tend to throw simpler parties whereas people who have an extravagant lifestyle tend to have greater celebrations. I find the latter very disturbing, since it demonstrates class differences in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] society and widens the gap between the rich and the poor. Besides, I consider lavish parties a waste of money because the money could always be spent on much more important things rather than organising parties.

Are there many differences between family parties and parties given by friends? Why do you think this is?
Certainly yes! Although the core objective of a party is to provide fun and happiness to the participants, there are some apparent differences between family parties and parties given by friends.
At a party held by friends, people loosen up more. They are more relaxed about things like drinking and are less inhibited, since they do not have any pressure on them. On the other hand, a family oriented party may have a bit solemn atmosphere, since some of the family elders are present. Therefore, people are expected to behave with proper decorum."

OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.