English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Luxembourg
Hello All,

When I was a child I learnt the past simple and past participle forms of the verbs at the same time within the same unit of our lang.book (when we were taught past simple) which wasn't difficult to me and made easier to learn present perfect simple later as a non-native student.

Nowadays lang.books (Project, Get to the top etc) teach these forms separately, in different units and books thus in different grades.

What is your opinion,

-which method is better for TESL teachers to teach irregular verbs and why?

- which method do you use as an TESL teacher?

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Teaching methodf of irregular verbs

Hello all.

When I was a child, I learnt the past simple and past participle forms of [strike]the[/strike] verbs at the same time within the same unit of our [STRIKE]lang.[/STRIKE] language book (when we were taught the past simple), which wasn't difficult [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for me and made it easier to learn the present perfect simple later as a non-native student.

Nowadays, [STRIKE]lang.[/STRIKE] language books (Project, Get To The Top etc) teach these forms separately, in different units and books, thus in different grades.

What is your opinion
?

- Which method is better for TESL teachers to teach irregular verbs and why?

- Which method do you use as an TESL teacher?

[STRIKE]Thank you.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I currently teach conversational English so I don't have a structured way of teaching those forms. However, when I taught formal lessons I always taught them separately to avoid confusion.

Please note my corrections above. Also, please check your member profile. Your current location does not appear to be Luxembourg.

EngTenses

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
France
Re: Teaching methodf of irregular verbs

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I currently teach conversational English so I don't have a structured way of teaching those forms. However, when I taught formal lessons I always taught them separately to avoid confusion.

Please note my corrections above. Also, please check your member profile. Your current location does not appear to be Luxembourg.

Hello, my way of teaching the irregular verbs is to ask my students to make mini sentences using the verb e.g. I sleep every night, I slept well last night, I haven't slept for 2 nights. I swim every weekend, I swam yesterday, I feel good I have just swum etc.
Learning words with no context is not very effective. Learning words connected to an idea means that when they want to use a word they will remember it far more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.