• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

C - kuh, suh.

The passage below appears to say that C (in Icahn) is pronounced as C - kuh, suh. The "k" here is voiced clearly and understandable to me. Why is it put as "kuh"? Where does "uh" here come from? The author lables "A" (in Icahn) as "æ, ā, ah, ā-uh, uh" - Okay, all understandable as the variations of the sound. But "kuh" is not understanable to me

According to the author, I pronounce "Icahn" as /aikæn/. Am I on the right track?
    =================
    Icahn Spelling And The Sound Of Letter Pronunciations. Name Icahn syllable is: icahn (we separated the syllables with dashes). I - ah-ee, ĭ. C - kuh, suh. A - æ, ā, ah, ā-uh, uh. H - huh, silent. N - nuh.

Source: How to Pronounce
    Reference: www.pronunciationof.com/how-to-pronounce/icahn
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 02-May-2020 at 20:56. Reason: Enlarged font across post

jutfrank is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: C - kuh, suh.

The bit on the site that looks like: C - kuh, suh is just their confusing way of saying the letter 'c' can be pronounced in two very different ways—as a /k/ sound or as a /s/ sound, depending on the word.

Within three and a half seconds of googling Icahn, I found a wikipedia page:

Carl Celian Icahn (/ˈaɪkɑːn/)

You can probably see that the letter 'c' in this man's name is pronounced as a /k/ sound.