Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

When you pronounce the ending ''ful'' in ''beautiful'' do you pronounce it as ''ful'' in spoken English or as ''fl''? Because I hear it as ''ful.''

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The ending /fl/ can't be pronounced in English. It needs a vowel. The vowel in the suffix -ful is a schwa.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it's a schwa. There might be regional differences in pronunciation. I do pronounce it fl — like waffle.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, it's a schwa. There might be regional differences in pronunciation. I do pronounce it fl — like waffle.

Yes, that's what I was interested in. If native speakers ever say "ful" in "beautiful"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, that's what I was interested in. If native speakers ever say "ful" in "beautiful"?

I pronounce the last syllable exactly like the word full and stress the first syllable.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Some will pronounce the -ful with the full /ʊ/, some with a schwa, and some with a syllabic vowel.
So it can be pronounced as /fl/, /ful/, and with a schwa, but how do you transcribe and pronounce it when it is pronounced with a schwa and which pronunciation is standard?
Ful as /fl/ as a syllabic /l/
Ful as /u/
Ful with a schwa /?/

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People who aren't familiar with phonetic transcription won't know how to pronounce "/fl/". Did you notice the IPA symbol in Piscean's transcription, "/fl̩/"?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
People who aren't familiar with phonetic transcription won't know how to pronounce "/fl/". Did you notice the IPA symbol in Piscean's transcription, "/fl̩/"?

Yes, it would be very helpful to read about those signs. I often see commas in different places in phonetic transcription. But how would a native ranscribe and pronounce it with a schwa?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it would be very helpful to read about those signs. I often see commas in different places in phonetic transcription. But how would a native ranscribe and pronounce it with a schwa?
I'd write BYOO-tih-full as an approximate transcription. That's a good example of why the IPA exists, though: it could be read a number of ways.

I don't think the descending line in /fl̩/ is a comma. It's just a symbol indicating that the L is syllabic.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So it can be pronounced as /fl/, /ful/, and with a schwa, but how do you transcribe and pronounce it when it is pronounced with a schwa and which pronunciation is standard?
Ful as /fl/ as a syllabic /l/
Ful as /u/
Ful with a schwa /?/
As you can see, you have some choices. All the pronunciations we've mentioned are standard (and very close to each other).

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
As you can see, you have some choices. All the pronunciations we've mentioned are standard (and very close to each other).

I see. The dictionary gives only ''fl''. If I transcribe ''ful'' with a schwa as ''f[FONT=&quot]ə'' would it be correct?[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.