Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Are there any grammar errors in these sentences?

Since she has no money problems and can afford it, Sharon has decided to retire early. She wants more time to exercise and work on personal projects. Most importantly, she is facing some health issues and she can now have more time to work on them with less stress. As she grows older she finds she is not so good in dealing with too much stress.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's good.

I'd either put a comma after "health issues" or change "and she can now" to "and can now."

In other words, use a comma because it's a compound sentence, or remove that pronoun so it's not a compound sentence anymore.

Your writing is better than most native English speakers'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about since she's well-off?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most importantly, she is facing some health issues and she can now have more time to work on them with less stress.

NOT A TEACHER

I agree that your English is very good and that many native speakers (both young and old) could not write such a coherent paragraph.

I just wanted to raise an un​important point that bugs a few people (like me!): "Most importantly," they claim, should be "most important." Supposedly, the "correct" way is to say: "[What is] most important, she is facing …." Because I am very old and used to traditional rules, your use of "importantly" jumped out at me. I am pretty sure, however, that most people would not pay any attention whatsoever to the matter.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Most importantly," they claim, should be "most important." Supposedly, the "correct" way is to say: "[What is] most important, she is facing …."

I don't follow that at all. I'm curious, though—could you please explain this line of thinking a bit more?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hi,

If you google this topic, you will get many opinions.

Some people feel that beginning a sentence with "Most importantly" is fine. Others feel that "[What is] most important" is preferable and "correct."

I understand that there is a website that gives the statistics as to the popularity of various words and phrases. Perhaps you could check there.

I am pretty sure that most speakers could not care less about this matter. Being a lover of rules (for I am a very insecure person), I opt for "Most important," but, then, I also opt for "It is I" and "Whom do you live with?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Others feel that "[What is] most important" is preferable and "correct."

I just wanted to know in what way or in what context someone might consider it preferable or correct. Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.