Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Oct 2019
    • Posts: 7
    #1

    I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Are there any mistakes?


    I found 17$ in my old jeans. I was very happy and I decided to buy fast food in a restaurant. When I got home my girlfriend was very angry with me because I had spent all money on me and I hadnít bought her anything. But it was an expensive restaurant and I hadnít enough money to buy food for two people and it was my money! We had a big fight. My girlfriend threw at me a remote control from my game console. She missed but the remote control was broken. And now I need more that 17$ to fix it.

  2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 6,691
    #2

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    The dollar sign is usually written in front of the figure.
    I hadn't had/didn't have enough money..
    How many remote controls does your game console have?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 02-Jun-2020 at 10:38. Reason: Made title match new original
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

  3. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 6,998
    #3

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    The dollar sign is usually written in front of the figure. . . .
    It always goes before the figure.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

  4. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 6,998
    #4

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Quote Originally Posted by AllaR View Post
    Are there any mistakes?


    I found $17 in my old jeans. I was very happy, and I decided to buy fast food in a restaurant. When I got home my girlfriend was very angry with me because I had spent all the money on me and I hadnít bought her anything. But it was an expensive restaurant and I hadnít enough money to buy food for two people, and it was my money! We had a big fight. My girlfriend threw at me a remote control from my game console at me. She missed, but the remote control was broken. And now I need more that $17 to fix it.
    Fast food restaurants are not expensive. Seventeen dollars could have easily fed both of you. Shame on you. It serves you right!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 56,441
    #5

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Quote Originally Posted by AllaR View Post
    Are there any mistakes?


    I found 17$ $17 in my old jeans. I was very happy and I decided to buy some fast food. in a restaurant. When I got home, my girlfriend was very angry with me because I had spent all the money on me myself and I hadn’t bought her anything. But it was an expensive restaurant, and I hadn’t enough money to buy food for two people and it was my money! We had a big fight. My girlfriend threw at me a my game console remote control at me. from my game console. She missed [me] but broke the remote control. was broken. And Now I need more that than 17$ $17 to fix it.
    See my changes above.

    I disagree with Charlie. It was your money (well, at least it was in your jeans so presumably it was your money) and you could spend it on whatever you liked. Also, she should pay to repair/replace the remote control.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 05-Jun-2020 at 08:27. Reason: Oops, named wrong user
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 70,987
    #6

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    I hadn’t enough money
    I'd use didn't have enough.

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 56,441
    #7

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I'd use didn't have enough.
    I was going to change that too but it gave me a lovely little hit of nostalgia - my grandfather (born in 1921) would have used "I hadn't enough".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  8. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 6,998
    #8

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See my changes above.

    I disagree with Charlie. It was your money (well, at least it was in your jeans so presumably it was your money) and you could spend it on whatever you liked. Also, she should pay to repair/replace the remote control.
    Uh-uh! I certainly agree that Alla has the right to spend his or her own money any way he or she wants to. I also disagree with the description of a fast food restaurant as expensive. The whole point to them is that they're cheap.

    So I don't agree that it took seventeen dollars to eat there. Where did the rest of the money go? Not to girlfriend, that's for sure!

    Which is why if I were her, I'd be mad, too. Not because Alla didn't get me anything. Because of the flimsy excuse for not getting her something!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

  9. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 12,390
    #9

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Are we talking about language or the morality of not bringing back your girlfriend something to eat from restaurants?

  10. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 19,354
    #10

    Re: I found 17$ in my old jeans

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    So I don't agree that it took seventeen dollars to eat there.
    It doesn't say US$17. A great many currencies use what we Americans think of as the "dollar sign", including our neighbors to the north and south. Seventeen Canadian dollars would be enough to buy two people a fairly meager fast-food meal. Seventeen Mexican pesos might be enough for one small drink.
    I am not a teacher.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •