Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
Any there any errors in these sentences?

As you know, the company has loaned me a monitor so that I can work from home. However, I am required to return it to the office on my last working day and not after my departure. Therefore, it is not possible for me to work from home on that day. Can I get your permission to come into the office to work on my last working day.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Any there any errors in these sentences?

As you know, the company has loaned me a monitor so that I can work from home. However, I am required to return it to the office on my last working day and not after[STRIKE] my departure[/STRIKE] I leave. Therefore, it is not possible for me to work from home on that day. Can I get your permission to come [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE]to the office to work on my last working day?

See above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"come into the office" is fine in BrE.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"come into the office" is fine in BrE.

Hmm. It's interesting that you would suggest come into instead of come in to. Did you really mean to do that?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I did.

I'm going into the office today.
Can you come into work tomorrow?

When something ends up inside something else (be it concrete or abstract), I was always taught to use "into". Having said that, I can see that "come in to work" works as well. My version, as I see it, uses the verb "come" followed by "into work". The other uses "come in" as a verb (I've probably got the terminology wrong!) followed by "to work".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My version, as I see it, uses the verb "come" followed by "into work". The other uses "come in" as a verb (I've probably got the terminology wrong!) followed by "to work".

Okay, thanks. I was just wondering whether these two versions have identical meaning/use to you. I assume from your answer that they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.