• Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Borne, pp of bear

Hi!

The following can be read at 'Common errors in English'discussing 'born' and borne': This distinction is a bit tricky. When birth is being discussed, the past tense of “bear” is usually “born”: “I was born in a trailer—but it was an Airstream.” Note that the form used here is passive: you are the one somebody else—your mother—bore. But if the form is active, you need an “E” on the end, as in “Midnight has borne another litter of kittens in Dad’s old fishing hat” (Midnight did the bearing).

But in other meanings not having to do with birth, “borne” is always the past tense of “bear”: “My brother’s constant teasing about my green hair was more than could be borne.”

Correct me if I'm wrong, to my best knowledge, in other meanings not having to do with birth, 'bore' is the past tense, and 'borne' is the past participle.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Borne, pp of bear

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    Hi!

The following can be read at 'Common errors in English'discussing 'born' and borne': This distinction is a bit tricky. When birth is being discussed, the past tense of “bear” is usually “born”: “I was born in a trailer—but it was an Airstream.” Note that the form used here is passive: you are the one somebody else—your mother—bore. But if the form is active, you need an “E” on the end, as in “Midnight has borne another litter of kittens in Dad’s old fishing hat” (Midnight did the bearing).

But in other meanings not having to do with birth, “borne” is always the past tense of “bear”: “My brother’s constant teasing about my green hair was more than could be borne.”

Correct me if I'm wrong, to my best knowledge, in other meanings not having to do with birth, 'bore' is the past tense, and 'borne' is the past participle.
    You are correct. You might consider e-mailing the source with that correction. There is enough garbage on the Internet as it is.

Very good!

That site is filled with garbage about language. This I think was an honest mistake.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    That site is filled with garbage about language. This I think was an honest mistake.
    Why do you dislike that site?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Why do you dislike that site?
    Hi Mike,

The reason I dislike it is that there are too many unfounded prescriptions.

There was a recent discussion in the following thread wherein certain portions of the discussion related specifically to that site.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...website-2.html

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi Mike,

The reason I dislike it is that there are too many unfounded prescriptions.

There was a recent discussion in the following thread wherein certain portions of the discussion related specifically to that site.

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...website-2.html
    I understand your position, but those prescriptions were not invented by this site. It is certainly not perfect, but I've found nothing that is.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I understand your position, but those prescriptions were not invented by this site. It is certainly not perfect, but I've found nothing that is.
    Hi again Mike,

Are you suggesting that Professor Brians be given a pass because he is only repeating old prescriptions? Is it not the duty of professors to seek out the truth, to actually engage in original research?

We really don't have to rehash old debates. The issue of Professor Brians's approach to grammar has, as you state, been debated very recently in another thread; no need to turn it into a crusade against Brians.

Quote Originally Posted by rewboss View Post
    We really don't have to rehash old debates. The issue of Professor Brians's approach to grammar has, as you state, been debated very recently in another thread; no need to turn it into a crusade against Brians.
    Hello Rewboss,

If his mistakes arise again, they must be pointed up. That's how these errors persist, by letting people think they have some veracity, by standing silent when they are offered again and again.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Hi again Mike,

Are you suggesting that Professor Brians be given a pass because he is only repeating old prescriptions? Is it not the duty of professors to seek out the truth, to actually engage in original research?
    I'm not passing him at all. I have no dog in that race. That said, there are many prescriptive rules of grammar. Individuals are free to ignore them, but they face the possibility of negative judgments when they do. I have not examined the site closely. If it is full of errors, that is one thing. If it just states prescriptive rules, that is another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast