• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I saw him do that vs I remember him doing that

Hello! Why do you think we can use both the bare infinitive and the gerund verb forms after perception verbs (I saw him do that/doing that.), but only the gerund form after remember (I remember him doing (not do) that.)?
    Not a teacher

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: I saw him do that vs I remember him doing that

Some verbs are followed by the bare infinitive, some with the to-infinitive, a couple with either; some are followed by the -ing form only, some with an infinitive only, some with either with little change in meaning, and some with either with a real change in meaning.

Why this should be so is something few of us know these days. A student of the history and development of the English language could possibly tell you.
    Typoman - writer of rongs

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I know the difference between remember doing and remember to do, but my question is about a particular structure: subject + verb + object + verb.

Let's compare the following pair: I want him to do that vs I let him do that.

There are two different types of relation between the verbs in these sentences: an indirect one (one's wish, being a state of mind, can't be the direct cause of someone else's action) and a direct one (someone did something only after (s)he was allowed to do that). I think this difference determines the presence or absence of to in the S-V-O-V structure.

Let's consider another pair: I want him to do that vs I saw him do that.

There are no intermediate links/conditions between the process of perception and the action => no to needed. The only difference between I let him do that and I saw him do that is the direction of causality (someone's action triggers the process of perception).

Maybe someone has something to say about the difference between see and remember.
    Not a teacher

4. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by tracy18 View Post
    When you are recounting, you would use "I saw him do that" as you are just talking about a past action. When you are reliving a past event, you would use "I saw him doing that" as you are talking about the past as if it is happening right now.
    Thank you, tracy18! I think the distinction between recounting and reliving correlates with the directness-indirectness distinction in terms of remoteness:
    recounting = remoteness in time vs reliving = immediacy (a past event is 'here and now')
    indirectness = remoteness due to the presence of intermediate links vs directness = an immediate connection between actions
    Not a teacher

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Sometimes the choice between 'do' and 'doing' depends on how much of the action you saw/heard/etc.
    "I saw him cross the road." I saw the whole thing; he left the pavement on one side, went across the road, and ended at the pavement on the other side. A completed action.
    "I saw him crossing the road." I saw him walking in the middle of the road, apparently going from one side to the other, but I didn't see him on both sides of the road. A part of an action.

6. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I can't see tracy18's reply anymore. Was it deleted?
    Last edited by Alexey86; 22-Jun-2020 at 16:04.
    Not a teacher

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Tracy18 has been banned. Consequently, all their posts have gone.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.