Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was another question in that test. "May I have/can I have one of these cakes?" Well, I read in my books that "may", "might" and "can" are used in such questions. Something told me to use "can" and it was correct. Would you use it too?
Many Americans would use can. Many of their mothers would correct them and tell them to use may. The latter is considered more polite in some circles.

I hope the test also accepted may.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Many Americans would use can. Many of their mothers would correct them and tell them to use may. The latter is considered more polite in some circles.

No, it accepted only "can".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There was another question in that test. "May I have/can I have one of these cakes?" Well, I read in my books that "may", "might" and "can" are used in such questions. Something told me to use "can" and it was correct.

No, it accepted only "can".
The answer key was incorrect then. I would have been less surprised if it had accepted "may" and rejected "can".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This is how I understand it. "May" ="might"=equal possibility. "Could" is weaker than both.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is how I understand it. "May" ="might"=equal possibility. "Could" is weaker than both.

You're not going to get a consensus on this, Rachel, no matter how many times you keep asking the same question. There is no universal rule or likelihood rating for the three words. As we've said, context (as always) is everything! The advice given earlier in this thread was good - read, read, read. You will come across instances of "may", "might" and "could" over and over again and you can note each instance, how it was used, and what context it was used in.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

In another question, it gave four options ''may'' ''might'' ''could'' and ''can'' in '' ---- speak to Tom, Please?'' I used ''can'' again.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In another question, it gave four options ''may'' ''might'' ''could'' and ''can'' in '' ---- speak to Tom, Please?'' I used ''can'' again.
May is more polite, but many native speakers use "can". I'd advise you to use the former.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It could rain later.
It might rain later.

The difference is expressed very well by the quote below, from post #19:

"Could" means it's not objectively impossible; "might" means you think there's a reasonable chance it will happen.

Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to say that one or the other sentences expresses 'stronger' possibility. I see them as different kinds of possibility. The important difference between the two sentences above is that only the second is clearly a prediction. That is why might is the best answer in a scenario where somebody advises taking an umbrella.

Although the second sentence could be used as a prediction, it isn't really good for that. We use could as a way of saying what is very generally possible. Look:

A meteor could fall out of the sky and land on your head.

I'm not making a prediction here, I'm just saying that this eventuality is not technically impossible. You can read it as a hypothetical possibility. If you say this sentence to me, I would respond by saying "Yes, true." Now compare this:

A meteor might fall out of the sky and land on your head.

Now you're presenting this outcome as a real possibility. If you say this sentence to me, I would respond by saying "Don't be silly."

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It could rain later.
It might rain later.

The difference is expressed very well by the quote below, from post #19:

Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to say that one or the other sentences expresses 'stronger' possibility. I see them as different kinds of possibility. The important difference between the two sentences above is that only the second is clearly a prediction. That is why might is the best answer in a scenario where somebody advises taking an umbrella.

Although the second sentence could be used as a prediction, it isn't really good for that. We use could as a way of saying what is very generally possible. Look:

A meteor could fall out of the sky and land on your head.

I'm not making a prediction here, I'm just saying that this eventuality is not technically impossible. You can read it as a hypothetical possibility. If you say this sentence to me, I would respond by saying "Yes, true." Now compare this:

A meteor might fall out of the sky and land on your head.

Now you're presenting this outcome as a real possibility. If you say this sentence to me, I would respond by saying "Don't be silly."

Well, as always I found the discussion more helpful than my books. :)One more question, if you please. When we are talking about polite requests, "may" is more polite than "can" "might" is too formal but what about "could" if you have to choose between "might" "could" or "may" which modal verb would you use?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When we are talking about polite requests, "may" is more polite than "can", "might" is too formal, but what about "could"? If you had to choose between "might", "could", or "may", which modal verb would you use?
Where'd the commas go? :) "May" is always a good choice. "Could" and "can" can be acceptable in American English when used respectfully in combination with polite turns of phrase: Could I have a hot dog with mustard, please? — but the same words can be rude when delivered with different emphasis or in a different order: Could I please have a hot dog with mustard? Learners should stick with "may", but don't be shocked when you hear native speakers use the other modals.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Where'd the commas go? :) "May" is always a good choice. "Could" and "can" can be acceptable in American English when used respectfully in combination with polite turns of phrase: Could I have a hot dog with mustard, please? — but the same words can be rude when delivered with different emphasis or in a different order: Could I please have a hot dog with mustard? Learners should stick with "may", but don't be shocked when you hear native speakers use the other modals.
Promise to be more careful with them next time. What are "polite turns of phrase?"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Unlike GoesStation, I would not recommend using may for polite requests. It isn't just more polite than could, it's somewhat deferential, as it has as part of its extrinsic meaning a plea for permission. Because of this, children are often taught to use it to instil a sense of respect for authority. It's also appropriate in similar authoritative power relationships.

Don't use might, either, as it sounds overly formal and old-fashioned. For normal everyday purposes, just use could for polite requests.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I never, and would pretty much never, use may.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For normal everyday purposes, just use could for polite requests.
I think may is more polite in American English. However, in thinking this over, I don't really think could is likely to sound rude.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Unlike GoesStation, I would not recommend using may for polite requests. It isn't just more polite than could, it's somewhat deferential, as it has as part of its extrinsic meaning a plea for permission. Because of this, children are often taught to use it to instil a sense of respect for authority. It's also appropriate in similar authoritative power relationships.

Don't use might, either, as it sounds overly formal and old-fashioned. For normal everyday purposes, just use could for polite requests.

One more question and I think I have finally figured out the difference. I am sorry but I didn't understand what you meant by "It isn't just more polite than could." Is "May" more polite than "could" or not?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
In the sense that I explained above, yes.
Is adding ''please'' unnecessary with ''can'', ''may'' ''might'' and ''could''? When talking about polite requests?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is adding ''please'' unnecessary with ''can'', ''may'' ''might'' and ''could'' when talking about polite requests?

It's not unnecessary. It's optional. Not using "please" doesn't necessarily make them less polite. Politeness can be as much about tone and manner of speaking as about the words.

Please may I borrow your pen?
May I borrow your pen, please?
May I borrow your pen?
Please can I borrow your pen?
Can I borrow your pen, please?
Can I borrow your pen?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is adding ''please'' unnecessary with ''can'', ''may'' ''might'' and ''could''? When talking about polite requests?

My advice is this: Don't use may or might. Use could, with please.

Could I ..., please?
Could you ..., please?

Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.