Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
John speaks to Fanny after he made to his father Mr Dashwood for distributing money to stepmother, his mother and sisters:

John: Dearest, I mean to give them £3,000. The interest will provide them with a little extra income. Such a gift will certainly discharge my promise to my father.

What does "discharge my promise" mean?
Does it mean break the promise? My friend told it means complete the promise, I am confused

Source: Sense and Sensibility 1995

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No, it means "to fulfill or honour his promise".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Mike, Sense and Sensibility, the novel by Jane Austen, was written in 1811. In future questions about it, please quote that date rather than the date of any subsequent screen adaptations of the story. Please also mention Jane Austen's name in your citation – her descendants will appreciate it.

I see you are asking similar questions on WordReference forums. That's fine, but please continue to refrain from asking the same questions both here and there.;-)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
John speaks to Fanny after he made to his father Mr Dashwood for distributing money to stepmother, his mother and sisters ….
The underlined part seems to be missing something. I can't guess what you're trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.