Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "pandemic notes" mean "notes that Gates wrote about pandemic"? If so, shouldn't it be "his pandemic notes"?

========================
Bill Gates Is the Most Interesting Man in the World

He appears on both Fox News and MSNBC. He talks regularly with Dr. Anthony Fauci and peddles pandemic notes to Stephen Colbert. He recommends “A Gentleman in Moscow,” the Amor Towles novel about a hotel prisoner in Soviet Russia, on his personal blog, where he also praises the honesty of “These Truths,” Jill Lepore’s magisterial telling of our nation’s history.

Source: NYTimes May 22 ,2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/o...?smid=tw-share

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "notes" here mean "comments"?
Yes. Peddles, which means "sells", is the wrong word for the context. The writer means dispenses.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Peddles, which means "sells", is the wrong word for the context.

NOT A TEACHER

I may be completely wrong, but in my opinion, the writer of that comment chose the word "peddle" to throw doubt on Mr. Gates's recent predictions regarding the pandemic.

I have only ever heard "peddle" used pejoratively in such contexts: "There TheParser goes again, peddling the idea that diagramming sentences is of great value to language learners!"

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I may be completely wrong, but in my opinion, the writer of that comment chose the word "peddle" to throw doubt on Mr. Gates's recent predictions regarding the pandemic.
You are completely wrong. :) The quote comes from an opinion piece that describes Gates as "the most admired man in the world."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are completely wrong. :) The quote comes from an opinion piece that describes Gates as "the most admired man in the world."

That's news to this American.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm 100% certain the author did not "… [choose] the word "peddle" to throw doubt on Mr. Gates's recent predictions regarding the pandemic." The article is entirely laudatory about Gates and the public health work he's doing.

Gates is a very interesting guy. While he was running Microsoft, he took all kinds of flak for failing to use his wealth to benefit the public. His repeated public statements that he was going to retire from Microsoft at age fifty and shift all of his work and nearly all his money to charitable pursuits was roundly derided as empty promises that he'd never fulfill. When he turned fifty, he handed over the Microsoft reins, established the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, transferred most of his wealth to it, and has funded a wide variety of programs for the public good. He's now being derided by a growing number of people for doing that wrong — but the author of the article is not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.