Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
My methods are these:

1- I would ask them add more details to their saying; If went to a party, they should explain how did they there there? what happened there? why they liked or disliked the event? how they came back home? Nothing happened on the way to and back from there.

2- Use the simplest words and structures they can think of until they find a good grasp of using more advanced and complicated ones through the time passing and as they get long with their speaking day in and day out.

3- They should at least speak around a quarter to half an hour every day.

And some other more tips, but still I can't get enough English from my students, as they say we can't think of anything and we are not a good story teller as you are. Some of them have no problem by writing what they want to say and then narrate what they have written, and I tell them it's good do it but little by little try to boost your visualization to grow out of the habit of writing what you want to say at first.

I would like to ask your help and advise the different ways of how to encourage learners to be able to speak more, and how to get them talk for a longer time. their speech is very short and they have difficulites narrating memories and expressing their ideas despite the fact that their scale of vocabulary and the level of their grammar is good enough to make much better than what they are doing in their speaking.

The students who I'm talking about are all adults, and only few of them are teenagers.

Thank you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How can I make learners speak more?

My methods are these:

1- I [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] ask them to add more details to what they're saying. If they went to a party, they should explain how did they get there? What happened there? Why did they liked or disliked the event? How did they get back home? [STRIKE]Nothing happened on the way to and back from there. [/STRIKE]

2- I ask them to use the simplest words and structures they can think of until they have a good grasp of [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] more advanced and complicated ones over time and as they get experience with [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] speaking day in and day out.

3- I tell them they should speak English at least fifteen minutes every day.

When you say "at least," you're naming the lowest number. So only state the lowest number.

And I give other [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] tips, but still I can't get enough English from my students. They say they can't think of anything and they are not as good a story teller as I am. Some of them have no problem with writing what they want to say and then narrate what they have written, and I tell them it's good to do, but little by little they should try to boost their visualization to grow out of the habit of writing what they want to say at first.

I would like to ask your help and advise me on the different ways [STRIKE]of how[/STRIKE] to encourage learners to [STRIKE]be able to[/STRIKE] speak more and ways to get them talking longer. Their speech is very short and they have difficulty narrating memories and expressing their ideas, despite the fact that their [STRIKE]scale of[/STRIKE] vocabulary and [STRIKE]the level of their[/STRIKE] grammar are good enough to make good at speaking.

The students who I'm talking about are mostly adults. A few of them are teenagers.

Thank you.
Those sound like good methods, Rezafo.

I'd try having longer conversations with them. Ask lots of questions. Draw each of them out.

I'd also ask them speak English to each other, both in and out of class.

Let's see what teachers say.

Status
Not open for further replies.