Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,848
    #11

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    You might say "Let's have a party!" if you want to suggest throwing a party. In your sentence it sounds like you're talking about attending one. In that case, you might say If you go to the club for/to attend the party, you won't be able to return in time. "To attend" sounds quite formal; "for" is fine for most contexts.

    I changed an article, too. Can you see why?
    You changed "On time" to "In time". Am I correct? What is the reason?

  2. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,848
    #12

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    What do you mean by "the time my friend has to stay there"? Why is your friend obliged to stay there at all?

    If you have been given a deadline by which you have to return and you get back before that time, you're "on time". If you miss the deadline, you're late.
    If you want to get somewhere with enough time to spare to do something, you're "in time".

    So - if you've been told that you must get back to the club by 10pm and you get back by (or before) 10pm, you're on time. If your friend is going to leave at 10pm and you get back at 9.55pm, then you got back in time to see him.
    "By the time my friend has to stay there" does this sentence make sense?

  3. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 18,233
    #13

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I changed an article, too. Can you see why?
    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    You changed "On time" to "In time". Am I correct? What is the reason?
    No, you aren't. I did change on to in for the reasons ems discusses above, but they're prepositions, not articles.
    I am not a teacher.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 54,929
    #14

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    "By the time my friend has to stay there." Does this sentence make sense?
    1. It's not a sentence.
    2. Even if it were a sentence, no, it doesn't make sense.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,848
    #15

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    1. It's not a sentence.
    2. Even if it were a sentence, no, it doesn't make sense.
    So, how would you say this? Could you please explain this?

  6. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,848
    #16

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    No, you aren't. I did change on to in for the reasons ems discusses above, but they're prepositions, not articles.
    Sorry, I miswrote that.

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 54,929
    #17

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    So, how would you say this? Could you please explain this?
    I don't know how to correct it because I don't know what you're trying to say. "by the time my friend has to stay there" is meaningless. You need to try and explain it to us in a different way.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  8. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,848
    #18

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I don't know how to correct it because I don't know what you're trying to say. "by the time my friend has to stay there" is meaningless. You need to try and explain it to us in a different way.
    You need to come back by the time your friend has to leave.

    You need to come back within the time your friend stays here.

    I want to say "Your friend has to leave at 10 PM so you need to come back before or by 10PM".

  9. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 18,233
    #19

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    I want to say "Your friend has to leave at 10 PM so you need to come back before or by 10PM".
    One simple way to say that is Jack has to leave at ten, so you need to be back before then. I supplied a name for the friend because it would be odd if you and the person you were talking to didn't know who he was.

    How's your reading coming?
    I am not a teacher.

  10. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2014
    • Posts: 5,848
    #20

    Re: If you went to the club you wouldn't be able to return on time. You friend would

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    One simple way to say that is Jack has to leave at ten, so you need to be back before then. I supplied a name for the friend because it would be odd if you and the person you were talking to didn't know who he was.

    How's your reading coming?
    I don't have time to sleep as well. A lot of work because of work from home.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •