Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Complete the conversation - present or past perfect?

I had an online exam today and I found this one particular activity kind of troublesome. I'm posting the text below with my answers in italics.

A: Hi, Jake. I hear you _____(had been travelling) (travel) around the world during your gap year?
    B: Yes, I have. What _____ (had you been doing) (you/do)?
    A: Well, while you ____(had) (have) a good time going round the world, I ___ (study) hard in my first year at university!
    B:What ____ (do you study) (you/study) again?
    A: Medicine.
    B: Oh, of course. How much longer have you got to do?
    A: By the time I finish, I ____ (will have been studying) (study) seven years altogether - five at university and two more training in the job.
    B: I start my course next month. So, I'll start my degree and you _____ (will still be studying) (still/study). My course is onlu three years.

Only two last answers were marked as correct. I concluded that because the answer to the first question is "Yes, I have.", peresent perfect should be used, but why? I mean the time ('during your gap year') is specified and the speaker B has come back from his travels. Could someone explain to me how to correctly interpret this dialog?

2. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Complete the conversation - present or past perfect?

Not a teacher
    ------

What is the instruction to this exercise? Your post title says "Present or past perfect", but for some of these gaps, neither of them would work. Judging by your answers, it seems more likely that you are to complete the gaps with whichever construction you see fit.

The question mark at the end of the first sentence makes no sense.

A: Hi, Jake. I hear you _____(had been travelling) (travel) around the world during your gap year?
    Was it in the original exercise?

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Glizdka View Post
    Was it in the original exercise?
    The original exercise was 'complete the conversation'. I added the question because the choice was my biggest problem. I see now that it's rather confusing, for which I apologize.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgraves View Post
    I had an online exam today and I found this one particular activity kind of troublesome. I'm posting the text below with my answers in italics.

A: Hi, Jake. I hear you _____(had been travelling) (travel) around the world during your gap year? Look at the next three words - "Yes, I have". That is your clue to what should go in this gap.

B: Yes, I have. What _____ (had you been doing) (you/do)? Again, "Yes, I have" is a clue.

A: Well, while you ____(had) (have) a good time going round the world, I ___ (study) hard in my first year at university! You need the past simple continuous in both.

B:What ____ (do you study) (you/study) again? However, I have a feeling they were looking for the present continuous.

A: Medicine.

B: Oh, of course. How much longer have you got to do?

A: By the time I finish, I ____ (will have been studying) (study) seven years altogether - five at university and two more training in the job.

B: I start my course next month. So, I'll start my degree and you _____ (will still be studying) (still/study). My course is only three years.
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgraves View Post
    The original exercise was 'complete the conversation'. I added the question because the choice was my biggest problem. I see now that it's rather confusing, for which I apologize.
    Thank you for clarifying that the instruction to the exercise allows other constructions than just the present perfect and the past perfect.

I asked if the question mark (this thing → ? ←) at the end of the first sentence was in the original exercise. Was it?

There's also a typo in the last sentence.

B: I start my course next month. So, I'll start my degree and you _____ (will still be studying) (still/study). My course is onlu three years.
    Is the exercise you've posted copy-pasted from the file you received, or did you type it yourself from memory/a screenshot?

I'm asking because this exercise looks poor. There's some clumsy wording in it.
    Last edited by Glizdka; 01-Jun-2020 at 18:24.

6. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

I asked if the question mark (this thing → ? ←) at the end of the first sentence was in the original exercise. Was it?
    Sorry once again, I got caught up in your first question and totally missed that one! Yes, there was.

There's also a typo in the last sentence.
    Is the exercise you've posted copy-pasted from the file you received, or did you type it yourself from memory/a screenshot?
    I'm asking because this exercise looks poor. There's some clumsy wording in it.
    I typed it from a screenshot so can't really be blamed for the wording but the typo is my fault.