Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Are there any mistakes?

I found 17$ in my old jeans. I was very happy and I decided to buy fast food in a restaurant. When I got home my girlfriend was very angry with me because I had spent all money on me and I hadn’t bought her anything. But it was an expensive restaurant and I hadn’t enough money to buy food for two people and it was my money! We had a big fight. My girlfriend threw at me a remote control from my game console. She missed but the remote control was broken. And now I need more that 17$ to fix it.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The dollar sign is usually written in front of the figure.
I hadn't had/didn't have enough money..
How many remote controls does your game console have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are there any mistakes?

I found $17 in my old jeans. I was very happy, and I decided to buy fast food in a restaurant. When I got home my girlfriend was very angry with me because I had spent all the money on me and I hadn’t bought her anything. But it was an expensive restaurant and I hadn’t enough money to buy food for two people, and it was my money! We had a big fight. My girlfriend threw [STRIKE]at me[/STRIKE] a remote control from my game console at me. She missed, but the remote control was broken. And now I need more that $17 to fix it.
Fast food restaurants are not expensive. Seventeen dollars could have easily fed both of you. Shame on you. It serves you right!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Are there any mistakes?

I found [STRIKE]17$[/STRIKE] $17 in my old jeans. I was very happy and I decided to buy some fast food. [STRIKE]in a restaurant.[/STRIKE] When I got home, my girlfriend was very angry with me because I had spent all the money on [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] myself and I hadn’t bought her anything. But it was an expensive restaurant, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] I hadn’t enough money to buy food for two people and it was my money! We had a big fight. My girlfriend threw [STRIKE]at me a[/STRIKE] my game console remote control at me. [STRIKE]from my game console.[/STRIKE] She missed [me] but broke the remote control. [STRIKE]was broken.[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Now I need more [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] than [STRIKE]17$[/STRIKE] $17 to fix it.

See my changes above.

I disagree with Charlie. It was your money (well, at least it was in your jeans so presumably it was your money) and you could spend it on whatever you liked. Also, she should pay to repair/replace the remote control.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd use didn't have enough.

I was going to change that too but it gave me a lovely little hit of nostalgia - my grandfather (born in 1921) would have used "I hadn't enough".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
See my changes above.

I disagree with Charlie. It was your money (well, at least it was in your jeans so presumably it was your money) and you could spend it on whatever you liked. Also, she should pay to repair/replace the remote control.
Uh-uh! I certainly agree that Alla has the right to spend his or her own money any way he or she wants to. I also disagree with the description of a fast food restaurant as expensive. The whole point to them is that they're cheap.

So I don't agree that it took seventeen dollars to eat there. Where did the rest of the money go? Not to girlfriend, that's for sure!

Which is why if I were her, I'd be mad, too. Not because Alla didn't get me anything. Because of the flimsy excuse for not getting her something!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are we talking about language or the morality of not bringing back your girlfriend something to eat from restaurants?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So I don't agree that it took seventeen dollars to eat there.
It doesn't say US$17. A great many currencies use what we Americans think of as the "dollar sign", including our neighbors to the north and south. Seventeen Canadian dollars would be enough to buy two people a fairly meager fast-food meal. Seventeen Mexican pesos might be enough for one small drink. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.