Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I wrote this story to find out my mistakes in;

1. The usage of tenses.
  2. The usage of vocabulary
  3. Orderliness

Please guide me.

1. Katherine, the housekeeper, was shocked when Martha forbade her to come to work in her house anymore.

2. “Ma'am, if you fired me how would I feed my four kids. Being a widow and only breadwinner, I am totally dependent on what I earn from this house and from the house of your next door neighbor, Josephine. She also has hinted me a couple of times not to come because of this Corona-virus.” Katherine said this last sentence in the hope of seeking considerations from Martha.

3. “That’s what I want you to realize. No one is ready to take risk against this Corona-virus.” Martha was more assertive this time. Katherine cursed herself why she disclosed Josephine’s intention to Martha. It certainly had supported Martha’s stance.

4. “Ma'am I cover my face with a mask all the time and the first thing I do is rinse my hands with a sanitizer as soon as I come here”; she tried to convince Martha. Martha ignored her. "Distancing from one another is the only way to protect ourselves from the virus", said Martha.

5. “You see I do not have cold, cough, fever or any other symptoms of this disease”; she again tried to bring Martha around. “I am sorry Katherine, in these circumstances, I cannot let you come here and that’s final. I advise you to stay at home and wait unless the Corona-virus is gone.”

6. “What about Suzy, she pointed to Martha’s seven-year old daughter. She is quite attached to me and needs my presence in the absence of you and your husband.” This time Katherine was sure to get a favorable response from Martha.

7. “You need not worry about her since Joseph and I remain in the house these days due to the lock-down, so we can manage Suzy’s responsibilities as well as of the household.” Martha remained firm in her decision.

8. After losing in arguments with Martha, Katherine left Martha’s house with teary-eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. Katherine, the housekeeper, was shocked when Martha forbade her to come to work in her house anymore.
Anymore is used with the negative, as in "Martha didn't allow Katherine to come to work anymore".

2. “Ma'am, if you fired me, how would I feed my four kids? Being a widow and only breadwinner, I am totally dependent on what I earn from this house and from the house of your next door neighbor, Josephine. She also has hinted me a couple of times not to come because of this Corona-virus (coronavirus).” Katherine said this last sentence in the hope of seeking considerations from Martha.

3. “That’s what I want you to realize. No one is ready to take risk against this Corona-virus.” Martha was more assertive this time. Katherine cursed herself why she disclosed Josephine’s intention to Martha. It certainly had supported Martha’s stance.

4. “Ma'am I cover my face with a mask all the time and the first thing I do is [STRIKE]rinse[/STRIKE] disinfect my hands with a sanitizer as soon as I come here”; she tried to convince Martha. Martha ignored her. "Distancing from one another is the only way to protect ourselves from the virus", said Martha.

5. “You see I do not have cold, cough, fever or any other symptoms of this disease”; she again tried to bring Martha around. “I am sorry, Katherine. In these circumstances, I cannot let you come here and that’s final. I advise you to stay at home and wait unless the Corona-virus is gone.”

6. “What about Suzy?", she pointed to Martha’s seven-year old daughter. She is quite attached to me and needs my presence in the absence of you and your husband.” This time Katherine was sure to get a favorable response from Martha.

7. “You need not worry about her since Joseph and I remain in the house these days due to the lock-down, so we can manage Suzy’s responsibilities as well as of the household.” Martha remained firm in her decision.

8. After losing in arguments with Martha, Katherine left Martha’s house with teary-eyes.

Last edited:

hatimhussain

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Are all the paragraphs well organized?
Are the vocabularies choices appropriate?

Please guide.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Ma'am, if you fired me, how would I feed my four kids?

I'd use fire...will I feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.