Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 220
    #1

    'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    I know we say "I've been to China" to let someone know that you had visited a place. I met someone and he said he's from Singapore and I said:
    "Ohh I've been to Singapore just last month."

    For some reason I feel like I should've said "I was in Singapore just last month" specially because I added 'just last month.'

    What's the difference between "I've been to....." and "I was in...."

  2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 6,007
    #2

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful Haque View Post
    I know we say "I've been to China" to let someone know that you had visited a place.
    That is right.

    I met someone and he said he's from Singapore and I said:
    "Ohh I've been to Singapore just last month."
    "Have been to" followed by the time marker "last month" is not correct.

    For some reason I feel like I should've said "I was in Singapore just last month" specially because I added 'just last month.'
    You are correct.

    What's the difference between "I've been to....." and "I was in...."

    The first is in the prefent perfect tense talking about what you have done in the past that is relevant to the present.
    The second is a statement of what happened at a point in time in the past.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

  3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 220
    #3

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post

    The first is in the prefent perfect tense talking about what you have done in the past that is relevant to the present.
    The second is a statement of what happened at a point in time in the past.
    I understand that part. But in this context are both of the sentences correct?
    As far as I know we usually say 'I was' when talking about an incident in the past like "I was in China when the virus was discovered." But which one's more appropriate in this context where I just want to let him know that I've visited his country just one month ago.

  4. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 12,060
    #4

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    We've already answered your question. Only was is correct.

  5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 6,007
    #5

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful Haque View Post
    I understand that part. But in this context are both of the sentences correct?
    As far as I know we usually say 'I was' when talking about an incident in the past like "I was in China when the virus was discovered." But which one's more appropriate in this context where I just want to let him know that I've visited his country just one month ago.
    You could say, "I 've been to Singapore once. That was just a month ago." The present perfect tense does not go with a time marker - a very common mistake.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 54,911
    #6

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful Haque View Post
    I understand that part. But in this context are both of the sentences correct?
    "Have been to" followed by the time marker "last month" is not correct.


    tedmc's post made it very clear that "have been to" with "last month" is not correct.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 220
    #7

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    You could say, "I 've been to Singapore once. That was just a month ago." The present perfect tense does not go with a time marker - a very common mistake.
    So either that or "I was in Singapore just last month?"

    As far as I remember there's another thread where I asked a similar question. I was talking to a guy from Mumbai (India) and when he said that he was from Mumbai I said- "I've been to Mumbai" and everyone said that I said it correctly.
    This is very confusing. Is it because I added 'just last month' here?

    'Just last month' doesn't work with the present perfect tense because it's referring to a time in the past and the PPT talks about the time leading up to now.

  8. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 18,194
    #8

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraful Haque View Post
    I said- "I've been to Mumbai" and everyone said that I said it correctly.
    This is very confusing. Is it because I added 'just last month' here?
    Yes.
    I am not a teacher.

  9. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

    • Join Date: May 2019
    • Posts: 220
    #9

    Re: 'I've been to Singapore' vs 'I was in Singapore.'

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    tedmc's post made it very clear that "have been to" with "last month" is not correct.
    Thanks. I think I get it. So I could either say "I was in Singapore just last month/a few days ago/just an hour ago" or "I've been to Singapore several times/once."
    The present perfect tense cannot have a specific time in the past. And the other statement has to be entirely in the past.
    Last edited by GoesStation; 07-Jun-2020 at 21:14. Reason: Remove stray bbcode.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •