Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

The following is from Frankenstein. I'd like to know why "phsyical" is regarded as the highest sense of "metaphysical":

. . . my inquiries were directed to the metaphysical, or, in its highest sense, the physical secrets of the world.

I'd appreciate your help.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The way I read it, to Dr. Frankenstein, metaphysics are simply areas of science that have not been explained. His inquiries are directed at unlocking those secrets.

Let's see what others think.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Maybe the question that needs to be addressed first is the reference of "its" in ". . . my inquiries were directed to the metaphysical, or, in its highest sense, the physical secrets of the world." Does the "its" refer to "metaphysical" or "physical"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe the question that needs to be addressed first is the reference of "its" in ". . . my inquiries were directed to the metaphysical, or, in its highest sense, the physical secrets of the world." Does the "its" refer to "metaphysical" or "physical"?
It refers to the physical secrets of the world.

It might seem odd because it usually refers to a singular word, not a plural (secrets). But here, the whole phrase the physical secrets of the world is treated as one general concept.

I'm afraid I can't explain it any better than that. That's why I'm waiting for one of the pros to jump in.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Could the "its" refer to the word "metaphysical," so that "in its highest sense" might mean "in the highest sense of the word 'metaphysical'"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm with Charlie on this. I read it to mean The highest sense (meaning/definition) of the word "metaphysical" is "the physical secrets of the world.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could the "its" refer to the word "metaphysical," so that "in its highest sense" might mean "in the highest sense of the word 'metaphysical'"?
That's not how I understand it. Notice the word or. If that weren't there, I'd agree with you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I take "or" to mean "or to put it a different way".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The reference word its refers to the metaphysical.

It's up to the reader to answer for himself why a doctor and physical scientist like Victor Frankenstein might regard the physical as the metaphysical in its highest sense.

Remember that the relationship between what Shelley describes here as the physical (i.e. body) and the metaphysical (i.e. soul) goes to the very thematic heart of the novel. In fact, it is in this passage that this central theme is first established. As far as this passage serves as a characterisation of Victor as the novel's main character, the takeaway for the reader is that he is motivated to uncover both the physical and metaphysical secrets of the world, since they are essentially one and the same thing.

Last edited:
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I think the different ideas about what the "its" refers to hinge on the meaning of "the highest sense."

Depending on whether "the highest" refers to "the most elusive or abstract," or to "the most practical," one reading but not the other makes sense:

. . . still my enquiries were directed to the metaphysical, or in its most practical sense, the physical secrets of the world.
(The "its" in the original would refer to the word "metaphysical.")

. . . still my enquiries were directed to the metaphysical, or in its most elusive sense, the physical secrets of the world.
(The "its" in the original would refer to the word "physical.")

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.