What should I improve on, regarding my pronunciation? I really want to sound better .

Status
Not open for further replies.

VietHoang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I have just started learning English, and I know that I sound quite off. I'm not satisfied with the way that I sound like, It just lacks something that I don't know.

Do you guys mind spending one or two minutes listening to my recording and helping me see what I could improve on so that I could sound better? If you could, please be gentle with me. I get hurt very easily, but i'm willing to do nothing more than to improve myself and my pronunciation in specific.

https://vocaroo.com/kTH1kJ0WvIu?fbclid=IwAR12_HUuDYod8tppc38mz70LiBN0s96bJp1LVfdFm_tX0X2-Wc26kxV3faw

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your accent is generally very good. I used to work with a Vietnamese guy who had come to the United States as a young man and lived here for thirty years, and you speak more clearly and fluently than he did.

I'll stop here. Other members with more experience coaching learners with speech will probably jump in soon to address specific areas that you should concentrate on.

They'll want to know whether your recording was from a written script or you were speaking extemporaneously.

Congratulations!

VietHoang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you! :-D

Yes, I was speaking extemporaneously. I tried to read some random passages that I came across on the internet, but I later found out that it sound even weirder and very unnatural, so I then decided to say anything that came up to my mind. It feel less forced to me.

Thank you again for your kind feedback
:-D

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not an expert, either, but I'll share a few comments.

1. Your diction is very clear. I had no trouble understanding anything you said.

2. You have an accent. Don't worry about that! We all do. There's nothing wrong with sounding like you came from where you came from. Even among native speakers, our accents identify our nations, our regions, our ethnicity, our class, and sometimes even the city we come from. We all communicate with more than just words. You don't have to hide who you are.

3. Use every opportunity you can find to spend time with native English speakers. Watch English language movies. Listen to English language songs. Read English language magazines and newspapers. It will build your vocabulary and teach you the fine points of grammar and usage. Can you find or organize a Zoom group with native English speakers?

4. Most important: Give yourself time! It's a difficult language. You've obviously come a long way, and it can only get better. Your progress won't show daily or weekly, but year by year you'll become more fluent.

You're doing well. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.