Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Mama Mia! My Home-made Brown Sugar Sponge Cake​

I have been trying to make brown sugar sponge cake under my own steam, but failed each time. Sometimes it tasted too sticky; and sometimes it was with a very strong smell of yeast. I have watched many video tutorials with different recipes about it. Each time I started with a big big bubble of hope which busted disappointingly at last.

Nah, I was strong enough not to cry, except for signing - R.I.P. to my unsuccessful works and then buried all of them into my tummy in order not to waste food. People said failure is the mama of successful cooking, but I was not confident of trying again. I could write a book named 'Making Brown Sugar Sponge Cake from Start-up to Giving-up'. Why could other people make it as it's a piece of cake? They must have magic hands that can play trick!

A few days ago I was browsing randantly video tutorials for other food online and a video title caught my eyeballs. It is 'After Failing Eight times, I summarize Three Key Points for Successfully Making Brown Sugar Sponge Cake'.

'Haha, I was not alone' my mouth curved up with a smile. Those unsuccessful experiences of hers really comforted me. I clicked the video and watched it through. The blogger said she had failed eight times, and her family had requested her not to do that again because they couldn't bear to eat that any more. But she didn't give it up, and finally she made it.

'Shall I try it again?' I asked myself. It seemed to me I spotted the similar pitfalls I had fell previously, though I was not sure. A blicker of hope reignited my flame to the cake.

I strictly followed up each step in that tutorial of hers with a lot of nerves. My broken heart couldn't bear to be hit again. I prayed to all kinds of gods I could name, though I am not really a believer to them.

During my cooking, I couldn't help walking into my ktichen many times within a short span of 30 minutes to see if the cake was okay through the glass cover, though I knew there still needed more time and PATIENCE.

Finally when the time was up, I took out my cake, and touched it, nibbled at it. 'Mama mia! I make it, I make it!' I screamed to myself inwardly. I was on the top of the world. I really appreciated the video blogger who taught me how to make my first ever successful brown sugar sponge cake, and STICK TO YOUR AIM!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mama Mia! My Home-made Brown Sugar Sponge Cake

I have been trying to make brown sugar sponge cake [STRIKE]under my own steam,[/STRIKE] but I have failed each time. Sometimes [STRIKE]it tasted[/STRIKE] is too sticky; and sometimes it [STRIKE]was with[/STRIKE] has a very strong smell of yeast. I have watched many video tutorials, [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] using different recipes. [STRIKE]about it.[/STRIKE] Each time, I [STRIKE]started[/STRIKE] start with a big big bubble of hope which [STRIKE]busted[/STRIKE] bursts disappointingly [STRIKE]at last.[/STRIKE] in the end.

I don't have time to look at the whole piece (I'm going to a socially-distanced birthday party in a friend's garden!) but I have made corrections to the first paragraph above.

Things don't taste sticky - they either are sticky or they're not.
Bubbles don't bust; they burst.

This is clearly something you have tried many times so I have put your narrative into the present tense, to make the repeated attempts a bit clearer.

I would write "homemade" in the title, but I see online that both "homemade" and "home-made" are used.

(Why are you putting yeast in a cake? It's for bread!)

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Happy Birthday to your friend and enjoy yourself there. :-D

This is a Chinese cake made of wheat flour. I guess adding yeast into the flour is in order to make the cake fluffy after steaming it.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Nah, I was strong enough not to cry, except for signing "R.I.P."[STRIKE] to[/STRIKE] on my unsuccessful works and then buried all of them in[STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] my tummy in order not to waste food. People said failure is the [STRIKE]mama[/STRIKE] mother of successful cooking, but I was not confident of trying again. I could write a book named 'Making Brown Sugar Sponge Cake from Start-up to Giving-up'. [STRIKE]Why[/STRIKE] How could other people make it as if it's a piece of cake? They must have magic hands that can play tricks!

A few days ago I was browsing [STRIKE]randantly[/STRIKE] randomly through video tutorials for other food online and a video title caught my eye[STRIKE]ball[/STRIKE]s. It is 'After Failing Eight times, I Summarized Three Key Points for Successfully Making Brown Sugar Sponge Cake'.

My shot with the second and third paragraphs.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The key is patience. Don't open the oven door too soon.

Say: "I made it!" or "I did it!"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Happy Birthday to your friend and enjoy yourself there. :-D

Thank you! We had a lovely afternoon and we had delicious cake!

This is a Chinese cake made of wheat flour. I guess adding yeast into the flour is in order to make the cake fluffy after steaming it.

I've never heard of a steamed cake. Maybe that's why I was unaware of the use of yeast. We bake cakes in the oven in the UK, and we use either self-raising flour, or baking powder added to plain flour, in order to make a cake rise and become fluffy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let me loose in your kitchen and I'll bake you some cookies.
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.