Current Location
South Korea
TOPIC : Promoting a flea market item
[FONT=&quot]1. What do you have? I have an acoustic guitar.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. When did you buy it? I bought it two years ago.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. How much was it? It was 160,000 won.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. What color is it? It's brown.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. How big is it? It is a medium size.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. How much are you selling it for? I’m selling it for 50,000 won.[/FONT]

Please correct the mistakes.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't understand what you mean by that or how it relates to your subsequent sentences.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't understand what you mean by that or how it relates to your subsequent sentences.

More specifically, it would be "Advertising an item I'd like to sell in a flea market".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then "advertise" is the verb you need, both in this thread and in the one in which you used "introduce".

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Then "advertise" is the verb you need, both in this thread and in the one in which you used "introduce".
Thanks, but I'd like to know if the content has any mistakes.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is medium-sized or
It is of medium size.

Do you really need to have a Q&A to advertise a simple item?
Wouldn't it be easier to have a short note tagged to the item with the price?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It is medium-sized or
It is of medium size.

Do you really need to have a Q&A to advertise a simple item?
Wouldn't it be easier to have a short note tagged to the item with the price?

This is just a middle school learning material in Q&A form.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This is just a middle school learning material in Q&A form.

Information that would have been helpful in post #1.
This is the very reason I have deleted many of your threads in the past: failure to give full context and/or source of quoted text after due warnings.

I'd have deleted this if it hadn't already receives replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is the very reason I have deleted many of your threads in the past: failure to give full context and/or source of quoted text after due warnings.

I'd have deleted this if it hadn't already receives replies.
This is my student's writing for his school work and I don't understand why you think my replies haven't been proper. I've tried my best to give best replies so far.
Sometimes I can't get perfect and complete information as I teach the materials to my students and the materials I see have limited contexts.

And I don't think other threads' replies are so well made as mine. If you always threaten me like this, I can't help but take some action for you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is my student's writing for his school work

That is exactly the context and explanation that should appear in post #1. Similarly, you could/should put "This is taken from materials I have to teach my students. I'm afraid I don't know the author or the source". You need to put that kind of explanation in every thread.

Why has it taken until the start of page 2 of responses for you to tell us that this is your student's school work? You've been a member of the forum for ten years now - surely you've learnt that we need to know such information right at the start.
Based on your statement in the quote box, do we take it that you are an English teacher? If not, why are your students doing their school work in English? If you are an English teacher, why do you constantly need our help? Also, why does your member profile not say "English teacher"?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
That is exactly the context and explanation that should appear in post #1. Similarly, you could/should put "This is taken from materials I have to teach my students. I'm afraid I don't know the author or the source". You need to put that kind of explanation in every thread.

Why has it taken until the start of page 2 of responses for you to tell us that this is your student's school work? You've been a member of the forum for ten years now - surely you've learnt that we need to know such information right at the start.
Based on your statement in the quote box, do we take it that you are an English teacher? If not, why are your students doing their school work in English? If you are an English teacher, why do you constantly need our help? Also, why does your member profile not say "English teacher"?

First of all, for the last ten years, I have found tons of threads which don't specify concrete sources as below, but you and Rover mentioned something about it like the above. I can cite numerous examples. So it's quite evident that it is definitely a racial discrimination or groundless harassment, so you are only targeting me and a few others for lacking this background source even though I tried my best to present to you. This is almost a legal issue that you can't ignore.
And what difference does it make whether I provide you with the background information or not when the answer is all the same? I used to get good answers before, but after Rover had become the manager, everything has changed.

I can't help but judge that this is either a racial discrimination or a silly action of a cantankerous old man.
Before I make a worse comment about your irrational actions to many members officially, don't even try to think about making any negative comment about my thread.

*Context-less questions
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/280945-Duck-face
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/280905-There-are-people-who

The reason why I need your help is because that even though I'm an English teacher, I lack natural speaking skills as native speakers. But in the Korean educational environment, Korean English teachers are needed to teach English grammar and reading in Korean, which can come across to students as more effectively than what native speaker teachers can provide. Of course, I can't teach speaking English to them.
The other reason is that I also specified my occupation as "English tutor" in my profile, but what native English teacher is to Korean English teacher is what professional "Go-Baduk" players are to amateur "Go-Baduk" players. The former is perfect enough to make their living, while the latter is able to teach, but still lack natural skills.

Please understand my situation and I hope we can go as well as we have done so far.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Keanu, no one is being racist with you or harassing you. All you were asked is to simply clarify where the text that you inquired about came from. There are several reasons we ask for that information. Here are a few:
1- Copyright issues might be applicable.
2- It helps us better understand the text, and thus to provide a more accurate answer.
3- If the writer is non native, we can weed out a lot of poor content right from the start.
4- If the writer is a native speaker, we may ask for more context or see if he/she made a mistake.
5- If the text was written by a learner, we can focus on correcting any mistakes.
Again, what emsr2d2 is asking from you is legitimate and fair. And I reiterate, there is absolutely no racism or harassment in that post above. I think you misread/misunderstood it.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think keannu's point is that he feels the moderators have been unduly harsh in pursuing him for not stating the source of his post while the same treatment has not been applied to others with the same vigour (from the links he has given).

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As pointed out earlier, keannu has a long history of failing to provide full context after numerous requests. There's a limit to our patience, and only so many warnings can be given before deletions and/or infractions are considered. For every post without context that slips through we could show you five or six where this has been asked for. Only repeat offenders face sanctions, and not before warnings have been given – either in the open forum or by private messages. And for a member to accuse another of racial discrimination is, frankly, despicable.

Regarding the second link above, the context and source appear in the very first sentence: I was talking about India and said that English is one of the official languages in India.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This is almost a legal issue that you can't ignore.

It is a legal issue as forums can be prosecuted for unauthorised content that gets posted on them. It has nothing to do with ethnicity and harassment; it is about the strict enforcement of copyright laws in certain countries. The site is hosted on servers in the UK, which is a strict enforcer. To defend ourselves, we have to be able to show that we were trying to avoid materials being posted online that breach copyright. We delete all links to downloads that breach copyright, and ask people to source quotes, which brings them into the fair use aspect of copyright material.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As pointed out earlier, keannu has a long history of failing to provide full context after numerous requests. There's a limit to our patience, and only so many warnings can be given before deletions and/or infractions are considered. For every post without context that slips through we could show you five or six where this has been asked for. Only repeat offenders face sanctions, and not before warnings have been given – either in the open forum or by private messages. And for a member to accuse another of racial discrimination is, frankly, despicable.

Regarding the second link above, the context and source appear in the very first sentence: I was talking about India and said that English is one of the official languages in India.

Rover! Do you think "I was talking about India" is the proper context? Why didn't you ask the poster about "Who is I", "Where did you find this writing",etc?

==================================
Regarding the second link above, the context and source appear in the very first sentence:
I was talking about India and said that English is one of the official languages in India.
===================================

Also, why do you skip this one and other numerous ones without context that you have never commented on?
I can't find any consistency in your treating threads in terms of contexts provided.
Why didn't you ask the thread-poster about "Who is the girl?","Who said this"? "Where did you find these sentences?", etc?

================================================
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...0945-Duck-face
Are both sentences correct?

1. 'The girl in the picture is making 'duck face'.

2. 'The girl in the picture is pouting her lips.'
===============================================

For this thread "TOPIC : Promoting a flea market item" is enough context, but you always ask me like a detective questions like "Who wrote this? Where did you find the source?"

I never do anything that can violate copyright issues as most of my materials are from Korean textbooks or reference books and my or student's writings.
For the last ten years, I haven't done anything illegal, except for the things that have helped my students get good grades in their school exams and college entrance exams.
I've given you context but your questions about contexts randomly change, which I can't follow it, and sometimes it drives me crazy.

Please be consistent in asking for context, and if you do need strict contexts, please suggest mandatory items such as "author", "purpose", etc and please don't answer any thread which violates it.

============================
1. What do you have? I have an acoustic guitar.
2. When did you buy it? I bought it two years ago.
3. How much was it? It was 160,000 won.
=================================

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thread closed. We have more heat than light.

Status
Not open for further replies.