Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I was talking about India and said that English is one of the official languages in India. And I said:
- "There are people who's first language is English."
- "A lot of people speak English as their first language."

I get confused every time I come across this type of sentences. Please let me know how to form this type of sentence correctly.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I was talking about India and [STRIKE]said[/STRIKE] that English is one of the official languages here/there. [1] [STRIKE]in India. And[/STRIKE] I said:
- "There are people [2] [STRIKE]who's[/STRIKE] whose [3] first language is English."
- "A lot of people [2] speak English as their first language."
[1]: Use "here" if you are in India when saying the above. Otherwise, use "there".
[2]: Insert here/there/in India.
[3]: who's is short for who is or who has. It is not the same as the relative pronoun whose.
Note also that the second sentence is slightly different in that it talks about a lot of people.

I get confused every time I come across this type of sentence. Please let me know how to form this type of sentence correctly.
What type of sentence are you talking about? What exactly confuses you? Tell us in detail.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was talking about India and said that English is one of the official languages in India. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] I said:

"There are people whose first language is English."

"A lot of people speak English as their first language."
They are both acceptable. They don't mean the same, because the first doesn't include 'a lot'.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
They are both acceptable. They don't mean the same, because the first doesn't include 'a lot'.
I think both of them roughly get the same message across?
Please let me know if I understand it correctly:
- There are people whose....- might be a lot of people, might be just a handful.
- A lot of people.....- means a very large number of people speak English as their first language.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
[1]: Use "here" if you are in India when saying the above. Otherwise, use "there".
[2]: Insert here/there/in India.
[3]: who's is short for who is or who has. It is not the same as the relative pronoun whose.
Note also that the second sentence is slightly different in that it talks about a lot of people.

What type of sentence are you talking about? What exactly confuses you? Tell us in detail.

- Could you please tell me why it is incorrect to use 'in India' in [1]?
- And for [2] I said that after I said English is one of the official languages in India. Doesn't it sound awkward to mention here/there/in India again?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
- Could you please tell me why it is incorrect to use 'in India' in [1]?
You mentioned "in India" earlier in that sentence. There's no need to repeat it.

- And for [2] I said that after I said English is one of the official languages in India. Doesn't it sound awkward to mention here/there/in India again?
It depends on broader conversation. If it starts as above, then you cannot omit that information.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
[1]:

Sorry I forgot to write about this part. I meant sentences like:
- There are people who would get offended by your opinion.
- A lot of people hate being stuck at home.

I've heard 'a lot of people' being used like this. But I'm not too sure about how natural 'there are people' is. For example:
A: People should stay home until this virus goes away.
B: You know, there are people who are getting frustrated because of staying indoors too long. You should go outside once in a while.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Both "there are people" and "a lot of people" are natural and common, and that applies to the sentences you wrote above.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are people who X: people who X exist
A lot of people X: quite a few people X.

Status
Not open for further replies.